Praise for Halfords (yes, really)

monkeylizard
monkeylizard Posts: 155
edited February 2010 in MTB general
I reserved some Shimano MT41 shoes on Halfords website yesterday to collect at the store. It's my first attempt with SPDs, so I thought I couldn't go far wrong for £25.

I arrived at the store only to be informed that they didn't have any in stock, despite their online computer thingy assuring me otherwise. Instead I was offered either some MT42s or some other Shimano more-racey type things.

And to the credit of the guy serving me, he said I could choose either and he'd let me have them for £25. So I now have a shiny (well, not shiny - brown) new pair of MT42s for £25 instead of the £70 they should have been :)

(I realise this is of limited use unless you can reserve something you don't really want on their website that's showing as being in stock and turns out not to be when you get there, only to be offered a more expensive alternative for the cheaper price. But Halfords tend to get some stick so on this occasion I thought they deserved a bit of praise).

Comments

• maloo
    maloo Posts: 214
    excellent :D
  • lol you lucky git :P
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    They have been very helpful to me recently - I think it depends a lot on their manager. A new one started not long ago and I've been very impressed.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    They have been very helpful to me recently - I think it depends a lot on their manager. A new one started not long ago and I've been very impressed.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    My local store have always been excellent too.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    My local Halfords bikehut is now run by the kid who used to run the Chav motorparts section. Obviously selling oversize exhaust end pipes, fake alloy wheel trims and furry dice qualifies him to run a bike shop.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    stubs wrote:
    My local Halfords bikehut is now run by the kid who used to run the Chav motorparts section. Obviously selling oversize exhaust end pipes, fake alloy wheel trims and furry dice qualifies him to run a bike shop.

so long as you need a K&N filter kit for your bike you should be ok.
    :D
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Any chance he's a biker who was forced to work on the dustbin exhaust department?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    i got a pair of cable cutters from there to trim my jag-wire cable outers.i fully expected to be taking them back as i'm a firm believer in,you get what you pay for,as they were 1/2 the price of park cutters.
    i was wrong :oops: and they did the job well :D