Gutted!

Lady Venom
Lady Venom Posts: 213
edited February 2010 in Training, fitness and health
Since I bought my first bike back in August, with some on and off riding due to work, I finally have been able to put in a good few weeks of training and today was soooo going to smash 10 miles in under 30mins for the first time on a fairly hilly route only to turn a corner at mile 8 and a bit into a stonking headwind and up hill! 32mins so can't complain but was so annoyed.

Also does anyone else seriously suffer with a runny nose? My gloves are gopping; any one got any tips for stopping a runny nose?

Comments

• lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    Runny nose yes your not the only one
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Runny nose, slobber chops, lose the power to move my mouth properly in the cold, can't form words properly...all those.
    That's Winter for you.

Must come across as some escapee lunatic with a deadly disease :D
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Heh heh, I remember last Feb a certain female member of this forum chatting away to me on a climb when a HUGE long snot poured out of her nose...

:lol:

It just keeps on coming, there's nowt you can do but wipe your gloves down at the end!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    sh!t was that me NapD?
    :oops:

Yes, I have this all winter long. Doc said it was vasomotor rhinitis - snot triggered by cold.

I can feel my cheeks are burning NapD. Was it really a HUGE LONG SNOT? Or was it someone else. No, it was me, wasn't it?

:lol: ah, you've got to laugh :-)

LadyVenom - seems like a brilliant time to me. One of my goals for the coming year is to go under 30 minutes for 10 miles (I've never done a time trial so that is another of my goals). Keep it up!
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Lady Venom wrote:
    any one got any tips for stopping a runny nose?

blow it..?
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Sorry but I'm going to be a nerd here. Good job I'm in amongst cyclists ey!
    Ok, snot in January can mean that you could be allergic to Hazel pollen. I have a little sticky friend that sits just inside my nostril for this period. After a few weeks it's gone only to be reborn in March/April when other Tree Pollen comes out.

If it's a cold then get some Ear Drops which contain 5% Hydrogen Peroxide. Get it early when you first get symptoms. Green snot means you have a bug and clear stuff is usually allergy based. If you feel fine and have got clear thick snot then you have an Allergy. Nice.

You must admit; you never thought snot could be so interesting!! :wink:

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • popette
    yes, I wondered about the allergy thing because it really does kick in around this time of year and I heard something about pollens starting now. The snot is clear - my nose is itching like mad and my nose is sometimes quite painful and I can get a bit headachy. but I don't think it's a cold.
  • Deffo not green!! I get it when i run as well, even in warmer climates ( i was in CA in Dec and it was 25C and I was still suffering!). Been real bad this winter; don't think I have a cold. Was going to try a face mask but thought that would get messy........ 13mph wind today where I was (Thank you Garmin GPS!)
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    My nose runs, regardless of wether I'm running or cycling, in Summer or Winter, it always has, and I just put it down to training...
    Best thing for protecting your gloves, is to perfect the art of blocking one nostril and opening your other nostril as best you can. Then blow, as hard as you can to expel the snot :shock:
    Not pleasant, I know, but it does help with the gloves... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • popette
    hopper1 wrote:
    My nose runs, regardless of wether I'm running or cycling, in Summer or Winter, it always has, and I just put it down to training...
    Best thing for protecting your gloves, is to perfect the art of blocking one nostril and opening your other nostril as best you can. Then blow, as hard as you can to expel the snot :shock:

yeh, I do that. I've experimented with just snorting both nostrils out at the same time onto the road, no hands, but it always goes wrong - all over my face etc!!!
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Yeah, I put it down to training too...the runny nose that is.

In fact it seems to run more when I'm fitter, maybe though I'm putting more effort in.

Could be I'm breathing more c**p in and my body is trying harder to get rid of it.

I've never attempted the nostril blowing trick...I just know it'll end up messy :cry:
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    If you're riding in a big group, or should I say Peleton, the striking thing is the amount of snot that flies about. If anyone does expel in the middle of a group please direct it downwards. You can taste all the types of sports drink by the end of a januty ride; free taster with every race.
    Sorry; I assumed that I was in a race from beginning to end rather than just the start.
    Forgive me in case anyone knows meand I get sued for blatent lying.

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • DanEvs
    DanEvs Posts: 640
    hopper1 wrote:

I find this essential to maintain efficient breathing during most of my rides anyway, as mentioned it isn't pretty but does the trick. :D
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    popette wrote:
    yes, I wondered about the allergy thing because it really does kick in around this time of year and I heard something about pollens starting now. The snot is clear - my nose is itching like mad and my nose is sometimes quite painful and I can get a bit headachy. but I don't think it's a cold.
    Have you had an allergy test Popette? My daughter had the skin prick test for allergens (including cat, dog, certain tree pollens, and dust mite) which revealed she had a house dust mite allergy. It was a relief getting a diagnosis as prior to that we had no idea what was triggering her persistant cough and runny nose (it was alway worse between about Nov & March). :)
  • popette
    sounds like a good idea Ands. Will make an appt for next week.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    DanEvs wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:

I find this essential to maintain efficient breathing during most of my rides anyway, as mentioned it isn't pretty but does the trick. :D

just make sure you are not the lead bike, as people tend to get upset!
  • JimmyK
    JimmyK Posts: 712
    my nose runs regardless of season. put one finger over nostril and blow a snot rocket onto the road .
  • Mainly the cold, but In SOME cases, the cause is DEHYDRATION.

So drink regularly.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    hopper1 wrote:

Yep - snot rockets are essential if you want to keep your gloves dry
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Think I'm allergic to winter :oops: my hands go white, my knees go blue and my nose goes red. At least I'm patriotic. :lol:
    I don't think I've ever spent as much time on the rollers, bring on the warm weather. I'm afraid I just can't get going on the roads yet, so many pot holes, piles of gravel and farm yard waste to come off on . Yes I'm a wimp . But it hurts more now, I don't bounce as well as I once did and I take longer to heel. On a better note though I'm setting PBs on the rollers IN JANUARY now that can't be bad. (still have to de-snot even on the rollers)
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    popette wrote:
    sh!t was that me NapD?
    :oops:

Yes, I have this all winter long. Doc said it was vasomotor rhinitis - snot triggered by cold.

I can feel my cheeks are burning NapD. Was it really a HUGE LONG SNOT? Or was it someone else. No, it was me, wasn't it?

:lol: ah, you've got to laugh :-)

LadyVenom - seems like a brilliant time to me. One of my goals for the coming year is to go under 30 minutes for 10 miles (I've never done a time trial so that is another of my goals). Keep it up!

I'm not naming names, but yes, it was you :lol:
  • hopper1 wrote:

Yep - snot rockets are essential if you want to keep your gloves dry

Deffo not, I pee clear more than once a day ;)

Maybe the training thing is right - the fitter you are the snottier you are. I washed my gloves; at least they'll smell nice on my ride tomorrow :shock: Also glad I'm not alone.....
  • No you are not alone, spent the whole ride on Sunday snorting and gobbing. Ended up breathing through my mouth constantly to avoid a face full of nose gunge. I dread to think what anyone hearing me would have thought!
  • Well when i posted this originally I decided to read up about runny noses and resultingly spent an hour massaging the sinus area on my face which was painful. It now appears I've been suffereing with an infection and blocked sinuses for a while! Bring on the anitbiotics and hopefully and end to ruined gloves!
  • I ALWAYS get a runny nose.. regardless of the season... gloves have to be washed regularly and I always end up having to stuff a small pack of tissues in my back pocket.. very annoying... You are not alone!!
    (I have started trying to take some sudafed to 'dry up' the snot.. i will let you know if it works!)
    :lol:
    Scott
    Felt
    Scott
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    The worrying thing is when you find your bad habits on the bike occurring at other times e.g. walking through the shopping cntre clearing your nasal passages! :lol: