Knee pads

sparrowlegs78
sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
edited February 2010 in MTB general
I am in the market for a pair of knee pads, I am looking at the 661 Kyle Strait ones, But according to the sizes I'd need large! :shock: , But I have scrawny legs, 17" above the knee and 14 " below the knee.
So if anyone knows these pads do they measure up to what they say?
Small, top opening 15", bottom opening 12.5"

Medium 16" top , bottom 13"

Large 17" bottom 14"

i don't want to buy the wrong size if they do come up a bit larger in their sizing.
Cheers for any help,
Caz xx

Comments

• stb1
    stb1 Posts: 4
    Caz,

I just got a pair of these last week and went for the XL. My measurement above the knee is 18" when my knee is bent and I didn't want them to be too tight.

The top of them stop about 6" above the middle of the knee cap so make sure you measure up there.

this gives their sizing info:
    http://www.sixsixone.com/Information_CyclingSizing.aspx

got mine on ebay for £34
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    My legs are 14" just above the knee, and 12" just below, so even scrawnier (despite being 6 foot!), and I wear small 661 knee pads, which fit very well. So that suggests that the sizing is accurate.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Cool, thanks lads :D
    I am over 6ft 2" but loads of horse riding seems to have thickened the legs, or it's just relaxed muscle lol.
    Caz xx
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Go to a shop and try them on. If they don't fit well you won't wear them. :D
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    ^ that's what i did. went to th LBS and tried them on but bought them off the internet as they were 10 quid cheaper and they wouldn't budge on the price.
  • sparrowlegs78
    the XL don't fit me too well because I have huge thighs lol! I can't remember what I measured them at.. but I know they're wider than my head :lol:
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    lbs all the way....... try them on in the lbs, buy them on tinternet
    always my policy for clothes or kit.....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402

Don't be surprised if the LBS disappears then.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    GHill wrote:

Don't be surprised if the LBS disappears then.
    lol...
    im not worried... i still buy alot of stuf from them... but bigger stuff is usually a main order joby....
    and they are hardly strugeling.... they are always full of people buying stuff....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • I was undecided whether to go for the medium or the large be in-between sizes. I went for the medium as I read on here that they tend to stretch. If I were you I would go for the medium.

Bert.
  • Got some mediums here on a scarwny bloke , may measure my leg later for you if your lucky :p
  • Anyone tried the 3DO pads? Does this 3D0 stuff actually do what it says on the tin sort O speak?

If it does they should be pretty comfortable with no hard caps anywhere.
    Daz

Lavatrax Tenerife
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Lavatrax wrote:
    Anyone tried the 3DO pads? Does this 3D0 stuff actually do what it says on the tin sort O speak?

I've got the D30 shorts, they're ace... But tbh I don't think it's something that's very useful in knee pads, since a conventional pad like the Kyle Straits isn't overly stiff anyway. The D30 ones are slimmer but that's really it as far as I can tell.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • seen the videos of the inventor wearing the d30 beanie getting smacked on the head with a spade?

I really want a d30 beanie...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I tried to convince them to make a D30 wiffle bat, which would be soft and friendly until you whack someone with it, when it turns rigid and kills them. The perfect crime! "But officer, all I have is this harmless foam bat!"
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    I tried to convince them to make a D30 wiffle bat, which would be soft and friendly until you whack someone with it, when it turns rigid and kills them. The perfect crime! "But officer, all I have is this harmless foam bat!"

True genius! :lol::lol:
    Daz

Lavatrax Tenerife
  • My legs measure exactly the size given for the large pads. At home they felt the right size too. I did one dh run and they were around my ankles. Luckily they were still immaculate so I packaged them up and returned them. Haven't bought the mediums yet, but they are next on my list of things to get.
  • I think a trip to my LBS....specially now as the Hubby has just spent over £300 on buliding a new pc :lol: I think I deserve a treat D
    Caz xxxx