The upside of front suspension

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited February 2010 in The Crudcatcher
So today while I was out at one of the local safe trail centres I hit some big bumps and drops and my suspension fork soaked them up very nicely without throwing me over the bars or crushing my spine.

That is all.

Comments

• Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Cat With No Tail :lol:

Mine are set up awesomely, and help me keep control of the bike on undulating surfaces - even deer tracks! :shock: 8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    The nice man in my lbs set mine up when I picked my bike up and riding over bumps is like riding on road :) even those nasty pot holes were no match for my tuned forks
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • i even road off a kirb yesturday without having a dangerous accident :wink:

"i love my suspension forks"
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    i even road off a kirb yesturday without having a dangerous accident :wink:

Are you el_cartero? :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    edited February 2010
    my forks were ace yesterday.....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5 ... =756407393

also rockshox tora's
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • I've never had my suspension set up on my bike. I just attached them to the frame, and magically they just worked.

I have gone down some majorly 'safe' downhills (which were made safe by being built so steep a sheep or cow would fall over, therefore avoiding the problem) and lavished in the smoothness that they give my ride.

They are Rockshox forks!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • bails87 wrote:
    i even road off a kirb yesturday without having a dangerous accident :wink:

Are you el_cartero? :wink:

:lol:
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    I love suspension forks. Last year at HONC, I used my rigid CX bike. The time that I gained on the road sections, fireroads and climbs was more than lost when the trails got rough and bumpy. It was so bad in places, I could hardly hold the bars and keep to a good line. I shall be doing it this year on the NRS, complete with front and rear suspension.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I shall be doing it this year on the NRS, complete with front and rear suspension.

2 suspensions are better than one.

i dont understand why folk think their legs are good enough for suspension but their arms arent? surely if your limbs were that good, you'd just ride a rigid?
  • bails87
    I shall be doing it this year on the NRS, complete with front and rear suspension.

2 suspensions are better than one.

i dont understand why folk think their legs are good enough for suspension but their arms arent? surely if your limbs were that good, you'd just ride a rigid?

I ride a hardtail, but I kind of agree with that point.

The reason I ride a hardtail is that to get an equivalent specced, equally light, equally efficient FS, I would have had to spend a hell of a lot more than the £750 my brand new Boardman Pro cost.

What kind of price range is a 24.5lb xc/trail FS? £2k? £3k? If I had £100k lying around then I'd buy one, no doubt, but for now I can't justify the expense.
    MTB/CX

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423

My limbs are sh!te, but I still ride rigid! :wink:

I think the point here is that they don't think their legs are good enough suspension, it is just less important to have the traction afforded by the suspension on the rear?

If you don't like a rough ride, get off the rough stuff :wink:
  • El Capitano
    bails87 wrote:
    What kind of price range is a 24.5lb xc/trail FS?

Erm, I dread to think, but lets start with approx £2k for the NRS and that's before I started to replace the bolts with Ti etc...
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i rode over a drain cover yesterday and didn't die good job i have 170mm though any less and i could of been killed to death

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • I was riding my rigid bike home yesterday and hit a small pot-hole, this caused me mild discomfort...and was probably a near death experience...if only i'd had at least 140mm front and back.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • i took my downhill rig out when they were gritting the roads, just in case there was any big grit
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    bails87 wrote:

Erm, I dread to think, but lets start with approx £2k for the NRS and that's before I started to replace the bolts with Ti etc...

My Anthem Advanced cost me £1100 for the frame :oops:
  • El Capitano
    Andy wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

My Anthem Advanced cost me £1100 for the frame :oops:

Erm yeah, the NRS frame was only £150.
  • El Capitano
    The sad thing is, I can pull much better stoppies on my CX bike than I can on either of my MTBs....
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    I have suntours xcr's :oops: which are actually ok but i'm getting recon races this week, which should be miles better :D
  • I once ran over an old lady coming back from doing her shopping and didn't even feel the tins of cat food.
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    im actually removing the suspension from my car, my spine offers all the protection i need and roads are smooth anyway.
  • bails87
    sheepsteeth
    Su-spine-sion?

Hehe, boom-boom

:oops:
    MTB/CX