Training Plan Help

Cannonit
Cannonit Posts: 14
edited February 2010 in Training, fitness and health
I got back to cycling last June using a flat barred triple hybrid and am now using a carbon compact sportif (this week). I am 51, 5'8" and have lost about 2 stone and now weigh 11st 7lbs apart from squats, abs, pilates,gym and two 5km runs a week I use the turbo 4 to 5 times a week and a 50 mile ride on Sundays with Saturdays off.

I would like to do a 100 miler sportive later this year and plan to add to my 50 miler each week to get there my problem is how best to train on the turbo/bike should it all be sub 70%/80% heart rate base miles, interval training, hills or mixed up or progress from one to the next?

My cadence was in the 60 to 70's whilst keeping to the 70/80% heart rates so should I first concentrate on raising my cadence consistently to 80 plus and forget heart rate stuff for the moment?

I would appreciate some direction on my training as to how to use my time on the bike/turbo?

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Cannonit wrote:
    should it all be sub 70%/80% heart rate base miles, interval training, hills or mixed up or progress from one to the next?
    It's unlikely your target event can be ridden at a steady intensity level - you'll need to be able to ride the climbs at a higher intensity than the flat sections.

Your training plan should therfore progress from where you are now to where you want to be for your target event, so a mix of riding intensities starting at a low level and progressing to longer / higher intensities as you near your event.

By the way, sub 70% of max heart rate is active recovery intensity and is unlikely to actually make you any fitter if you rode at that level all the time.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Drop me a PM and I'll try to help.

I'm 5ft 6ins, 52 and coming back from injuries too. 12st 12lb, normally 11st 10ish.
    ( We could be twins!!)
    Former Asst Nat Coach, Tutor/Assessor, BC Level 2 courses.
    BSCA Mtb Leader, Tutor Assessor.
    Former City of London Police Physical Trainer/Self Defence instructor.

So, gotta bit of background knowledge, etc.
  • Thank you Bronzie I will do that from now on.