Elixir CR or Hope Tech M4?

monkeypants
monkeypants Posts: 150
edited February 2010 in MTB buying advice
I'm after an all round brake, something that can stop me whatever the situation on the trail. I currently use Juicy 3s with 203mm rotors f+r and actually find them quite good now I've got used to the grabbiness so I don't actually need to replace them, I've just had them a while and fancy a change.

I've got no real experience with either brake, just a bit of a car park blast with my friends new M4s which I don't think were bedded in properly and were frankly quite disappointing on the wheel lock-up front. Is there anything about either one that would be a deal breaker? There's nothing mentioned in the reviews so I guess it's just personal preference but I have to ask just in case anything shows up after longer-term use.

Comments

• richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    lol y the hell do you want to lock the front wheel up?

do you have a thing for tarmac stoppies?

ive had elixirs cr's wich i got rid of after a month and now have tech m4s.

if you want very little control and a brake that grabs like hell and will send you over the bars with only a twicth of a pinky then buy the elixirs.

if you want brake that you can nail a vertical loose grvel decent and stop without locking the wheels then go for the m4s but you can still lock them with one finger.

dont get me wrong the elixirs are strong brakes but i found them way to grabby like an on off switch.

or try some formula k24s these are a very good brakes, i almost bought these over the m4s very powerfull and controlable but the m4s just pipd it for the bling factor.
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Answer: Shimano Saint, best brakes I've ever used
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • I'm not a fan of the Saints, I'm sure they're a great brake but they're even more expensive than the M4s and I don't really like the look of them.

Rich, what I mean is if I grab a load of lever I want the front wheel to lock. I manuoevre around certain obstacles in a trial-riding manner so I need the wheel to be solid, I didn't get that feeling with the M4s, but as I said, I only rode them in a car park when they were still fairly fresh.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    the m4s will lock but when you want them to, not when you dont like the elixirs.
  • I'm not a fan of the Saints, I'm sure they're a great brake but they're even more expensive than the M4s and I don't really like the look of them.

Rich, what I mean is if I grab a load of lever I want the front wheel to lock. I manuoevre around certain obstacles in a trial-riding manner so I need the wheel to be solid, I didn't get that feeling with the M4s, but as I said, I only rode them in a car park when they were still fairly fresh.

If you want the front wheel to lock with the touch of a lever... saints are the way forward. Neither of the above brakes can match them for power.
    Saints aren't light though, but they're not bad considering.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    richg1979 wrote:
    the m4s will lock but when you want them to, not when you dont like the elixirs.

My Elixirs are nothing like that, plenty of modulation.
  • Do you have Elixir R, CR or 5s?

I do fancy the Elixirs, they'd go better with my new X.0 shifters :roll:
  • GHill
    Do you have Elixir R, CR or 5s?

I've got the CR (got it at a good sale price). Note, the main difference between the 5 and R is that you need a tool to adjust the reach on the 5. This isn't difficult and should only need to be done once.
  • I'd be getting the CRs, I want a brake with pad contact adjustment and at the moment they're over £100 less than the M4s. I think that's what I'll do, sorry Rich, but I'm not going to take you up on this one; plus it's nice to be different. Thanks guys
  • GHill
    I'd be getting the CRs, I want a brake with pad contact adjustment and at the moment they're over £100 less than the M4s.

Little tip. Make sure you hold onto the brake hose as you turn the contact adjuster, otherwise you won't get the desired effect.