Dont think he helped himself much

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
:roll: Found this from link-surfing
http://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/news/ ... jp#4880225

Yes the driver should have stopped but he should have had lights. :?

Comments

• For the sake of £5 for some cheap lights and £1 for a hi-viz top he will suffer for the rest of his life. :roll:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    For the sake of £5 for some cheap lights and £1 for a hi-viz top he will suffer for the rest of his life. :roll:

Good to hear that cyclists with lights never get hit by cars.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I nearly hit a person on a bike the other day (whilst driving).

In my defense, it was dark out (7pm-ish), he had no kind of lights, was in dark clothing, and was on the wrong side of the road. Pretty much luck that I saw him at all really.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Aidy wrote:
    I nearly hit a person on a bike the other day (whilst driving).

In my defense, it was dark out (7pm-ish), he had no kind of lights, was in dark clothing, and was on the wrong side of the road. Pretty much luck that I saw him at all really.

In that case you did well to hit him :twisted:
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    bails87 wrote:
    For the sake of £5 for some cheap lights and £1 for a hi-viz top he will suffer for the rest of his life. :roll:

Good to hear that cyclists with lights never get hit by cars.

Missing the point slightly. Cyclists with lights don't get hit by cars who would only hit them because they're invisible.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I know, but the driver managed to run someone over and seemingly not notice it, would a blinking red light have made a difference? I wonder what reflectors he had? It's just a good job it wsan't an unilluminated child crossing the road in front of a previously stationary 4x4 I suppose.

Not condoning riding without lights btw, I think the guy was extremely foolish to be doing it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    bails87 wrote:
    I know, but the driver managed to run someone over and seemingly not notice it, would a blinking red light have made a difference? I wonder what reflectors he had? It's just a good job it wsan't an unilluminated child crossing the road in front of a previously stationary 4x4 I suppose.

Not condoning riding without lights btw, I think the guy was extremely foolish to be doing it.

How is the driver to know they've hit a person. If they've the radio on and think they've hit a pothole or a lump of debris in the road, perhaps it may explain why they continued. A set of lights would atleast alert them to someones presence if they are moderately paying attention.

And we do know what reflectors he has, its in the picture. :wink: