What lubricant?

Valy
Valy Posts: 1,321
edited February 2010 in MTB buying advice
Just looking for recommendations for lubes - currently use this Bosch spray.

Thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what do you want to lube?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Valy
    The drivetrain I guess.
  • i'm currently on white lightning all conditions, but it's too thin. Usually i run my drivetrain pretty dry though, so stuff doesn't stick to it.
  • I use the same as ride_whenever and I also keep my chain pretty dry.

Seems to work well though, and my chains, chainrings and cassettes seem to last quite well so I'm not in a great rush to change it.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    im currently using a homebrewed formula, its very, very effective too! but its a secret recipie and im not gonna squeek, but if you want ill send you some for £2. i like it, it works well, its very, very weatherproof, easy to clean, and isnt too "dirty" oh, and its "green" no overly nasty chemicals.....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • With the current conditions I'm using a wet lube (Lifeline race oil) on the mountain bike. Its mucky and gets dirty but keeps the chain nicely oiled.

The dry lubes weren't lasting a ride and the chain started to rust.

But when dryer and nicer the dry lubes are great at keeping the drivetrain clean and working well. They don't attract the dust and grime like the wet lubes.
  • im currently using a homebrewed formula, its very, very effective too! but its a secret recipie and im not gonna squeek, but if you want ill send you some for £2. i like it, it works well, its very, very weatherproof, easy to clean, and isnt too "dirty" oh, and its "green" no overly nasty chemicals.....

You dirty B@STARD!

:lol:
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    finishline red or green, depending on conditions, but mostly red

cleaning is arguably as important as lubrication, I take the chain off (power links ftw) and soak it in degreaser for half an hour or so while I'm fettling the rest of the bike, shaking the bottle every so often. The degreaser isn't cheap so I usually reuse it till it "wears out" (ie, is about as mucky as the chain.....)
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • I never soak my chains, i find it knackers them. Just rub them down with a clean rag until they come up clean. Sometimes a little really light chain lube helps to get the gunk off if it's really filthy.
  • joshtp
    im currently using a homebrewed formula, its very, very effective too! but its a secret recipie and im not gonna squeek, but if you want ill send you some for £2. i like it, it works well, its very, very weatherproof, easy to clean, and isnt too "dirty" oh, and its "green" no overly nasty chemicals.....

You dirty B@STARD!

I like bikes and stuff
  • Valy

Epic phail? Or in other words i saw your thread! :lol:

Thanks for the inputs everyone.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt8 ... r-ec005522

One of the guys in Evans said it's pretty good - used to use it himself as well.
  • I've just ordered some 'Purple Extreme' because last time this subject came up everyone was raving about the stuff and now nobody is mentioning it! :D

I have been using Epic Ride white Lightening up until now but it's not coping with the mud that's out there at the moment.
    Trek Top Fuel 9 2010, Stumpy Pro 2009 ,Giant XTC3 2009, Qu-ax Penny Farthing,
    Elswick Hopper Model M delivery Bike 1960

God Shave The Queen!
  • joshtp
    Valy wrote:

Epic phail? Or in other words i saw your thread! :lol:

Thanks for the inputs everyone.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt8 ... r-ec005522

One of the guys in Evans said it's pretty good - used to use it himself as well.
    err, no, actually, my lube wasent a fail.. its very good, and the old one in that thread is noe outdated... my new one is much better..!
    also, GT85 IS NOT A CHAIN LUBE!
    it is a water dispersant, like WD40.....
    you need a proper chain lube in a proper dropper bottle.... GT 85 is of no use as a lubricant....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • i asked the same question a short while ago and was told to get FINISH LINE WET LUBE....... so i did and its really good stuff :wink:
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • you need a proper chain lube in a proper dropper bottle.... GT 85 is of no use as a lubricant....

First of all, you really don't need to lube your chain. As long as you store it clean and dry it'll be fine. GT is however a great solvent, so if you're careful makes a great chain cleaner, not to mention the teflon-y film it leaves behind is great for stopping the mud sticking.
  • Valy
    I see.

I might get the finish line wet lube. Can the GT be used for cleaning forks? ... or at least to give smoother motion to them?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No - it can rot seals or swell them, thin the oil.

Use chain lube on ths seals/stanchions.
  • or fork oil or that special fork spray stuff that is supposed to be amazing!
  • Valy
    Oh yeah, very specific advice r_w! :lol: