Marin Wolf Ridge 6.9 any owners?

senoj
senoj Posts: 213
edited February 2010 in MTB buying advice
As above really,just looking for feedback.
Anyone have one,its a little odd looking,but my budget is under £2000.
i thought it would be a little different than an Orange 5s or Fuel EX8.
Thoughts appreciated

Comments

• upinsmoke
    upinsmoke Posts: 278
    Was on my shortlist as was a Commencal Meta 5.5.2 and a Giant Reign.

Couldn't find one nearby to try and fell for the Reign as soon as i sat on it.

The Marin looks great though and I've seen the 2009s going for £1700-£1800
  • senoj
    Similar shortlist to you,I dont see many about.
    I have ridden the Anthem X1,but its new price is extortionate.
    I bet the reign is as nice,very comfortable.
    The problem we all get is testing them in the size you want.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The Anthem is very different to the other bikes mentioned. Don't know if that's an issue?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • senoj
    Yeah,I only mentioned the Anthem as it was the only one I had actually ridden.
  • I've got a Rock springs '08 which is the same frame as the Wolfridge. Only owned it a month or so and haven't ridden it much yet but some initial thoughts.

1/ Quite weighty although there is some fat to trim off it without going too delicate.
    2/ Feels really nice when rolling along on the flat. Noticeably laid back front end. Feels twitchy when slow but fine once moving. Balance front to back seems fine.
    3/ Great downhill - really solid. Suspension well balanced and feels really compact underneath you. Does exactly what you ask of it and never feels like it can't do it - confidence inspiring.
    4/ Not as bad uphill as I had feared. Grips amazingly and while not a fast ascender it does get up most things. If it does bob I couldn't feel it. Doesn't suffer with a wandering front end when climbing like my 5" trail bike. Definately a plugger rather than whippet but certainly very capable.
    5/ Perhaps not what I would choose for all dayers due to the weight (and having a 2nd bike!) but great for anything when I know there are technical descents and or just want to have a blast. Can't wait to take it to the trail centres in South Wales.

There are other owners on here who can comment more though and they have had good reviews in MBUK/ WMB in the last couple of years. Special offers around at the moment make them great value.
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • When I had a look at Marins the thing that struck me was that the kit you get for the price isn't brilliant - not that I am saying there is anything wrong with it, but it just doesn't compete with the kit that some other similarly priced bikes come with.
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • When I had a look at Marins the thing that struck me was that the kit you get for the price isn't brilliant - not that I am saying there is anything wrong with it, but it just doesn't compete with the kit that some other similarly priced bikes come with.
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • I'd always buy an end of year bike anyway and that tends to level things out a lot. There is over £500 of '09 Wolfridges at the moment so you should be able to find a bargain at the price you want. :wink: 8)
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    bro has one that i have used a few times.

very plush rear end but quite heavy and not efficient at all, back end squats badly when any power is applied but does handle good and feels a lot longer legged than it is.

better if your more into gravity trails rather than having to do much climbing. deffo not good for any xc.
  • senoj
    Thanks Lads,Im from South Wales and will be hitting Arfon Argoed.
    The hard tail I have has taken a beating there,and although its great uphill keeping up with the boys on full sus is suicidal.
    I did get to view one yesterday but couldnt ride it as it was raining and the lbs didnt want to get it wet.
    The only problem I can see for me is the squating of the back end,obviously the pro pedal dosent work to well..Although I did pick it up I couldnt decide whether it was heavy or not...and the manager was desperate to sell me a specialized.
    The problem i have is they are discounted so well at the moment and i love the look of it.
  • I haven't experienced any of the rear end squatting that rich states and I know from previous postings that neither have the other users (macandcheese and yeehaamcghee etc) on here when he has made these claims before. If anything the back end should tighten under acceleration due to the design. My scott suffers from rear end bob much more noticeably when climbing in the granny ring and I am running the Marin with less pressure (Perhaps Rich's 'mate' had a faulty shock as he doesn't actually own one :? ?)

As long as you go for a 2008 onwards you will get the latest design - the 2010 version is a little lighter due to slimmed down back end and the switch to RS revelations from the RS pikes. Mine is running a Fox shock without pro pedal as well so I don't think you should worry about it. If you don't want to be left behind downhill then these really rock - the bike radar reviews have described them as mini dh bikes and they are very much on the 'all mountain' end of the trail bike spectrum and extremely capable. :wink: The prices that '09 bikes are going for is a bargain with some sites quoting 31% or £700 off RRP (JeJames) of 6.8's. :D
  • senoj
    Ta Silver,its not like me must be getting old,but I am going to wait the weekend.
    If the one I want is still there Monday Ill buy it.I used to be so impulsive :D
  • I love my 6.8, as others have said it is slightly porky (not sure if the 6.9 much lighter?), but it will literally take anything you though at it, which may not be as true for the light bikes in the category(?). I think the rear suspension setup is fantastic, never had any bob or squat problems, in fact I don't even bother with propedal because it is so good. Don't expect to keep up with people on XC bikes on long rides with climbs, but you'll be having too much fun on downhills to care, it is simply superb...very stable and confident.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    if you read any review it clearly points out that the back end squats under power, the propedal helps a bit, marin even quoted they fitted the new fox rear shock with boost valve for 2010 to help overcome the squishy back end.

its not really noticable if your just sitting and spining away its when you come to get some power in or stand and pedal hard it dives and stoopes like mad.

and theres nothing wrong with the shock its even been serviced recently and is exactly the same, with sag set to 25% just from a hard sprint up the road i can blow out 95% of the rear travel.

or it could be just due to the fact that im used to a much lighter, efficient, nimbler, faster bike.