What bike is this? And is it worth £25?

Jpoel
Jpoel Posts: 2
edited February 2010 in MTB buying advice
Just need a cheap second hand bike to mess around with friends with at the park and stuff... My friend is offering me this for £25

http://i48.tinypic.com/14d3kev.jpg

What bike is it? Brand? Model? He doesnt know either cause he's a noob. Anyone give me any idea of the dimensions of this? i'm 6'1

I know it's no amazing bike but it could do the job,

Keep in mind the tyres look pretty flat. How much do you think its worth?

ALSO: what are the UK laws about riding a bike without a helmet nowadays?

Many thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks like a generic catalogue bike that probably retailed at about 100 quid. I wouldn't do anything serious on it.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I'd say it looks a bit too small for you. Kinda of hard to tell what it is, but it's nothing good. Cheap supermarket full suspension. Offer him £20, see if he takes it.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    those types of bikes only come in one size, 18" and with a short top tube it will be too small for you @ 6'1"

I used to hit my knees on the bars test riding them round the shop & couldn't raise the saddle high enough either, I'm 5'9".

It is a generic full suspension bike, made for lots of different brands using the heaviest steel available to man with the worst components known in the universe, hell even the inner tubes don't seem to want to hold air in them ;)

In short, I wouldn't waste the cash.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Ive got one of those type of bikes sat in my garden, was my mrs' until i got her a new one, its yours for free!
  • It's certainly not going to be a pleasurable riding experience. It will almost certainly break very quickly and you'll end up spending more than the £25 you paid for it just to fix it.

That being said, I see loads of them (well, that sort of bike) on my morning commute. So they must be passabe.

As for helmet laws. Afaik, there is no current uk legislation to compel you to wear a helmet. But you'd have to be a proper spanner not to, especially if riding off-road.

*awaits inevitable anti-helmet brigade responses*
  • timmys
    timmys Posts: 191
    Inflating the tyres would probably double its value.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    He's paying you the £25 to clear it out of his garage right?
  • I got mine from the local dump, to be honest i wish i had left it there :) Pedal bob on these is very very bad and you seem to use most of your energy pogoing along. I only use mine to go 1/2 a mile to the gym, but i would almost rather walk its that bad.
    I would look for a hard tail for the same money if i were you, the rear sus is just not worth the hasel on these.
    A feather is kinky, a whole chicken is just perverse.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I have one of those in my back yard, stripped down to the frame and the gears. I wouldn't ride it as it weighs about as much the 3 bikes we have put together (even in it's current sdtate without wheels etc) but I must say that it has been great as a resource for spare parts for my commuter :D