Replacing XO jockey wheels

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited February 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I am replcing the jockey wheels on my SRAM X0 mech with KCNC.

Is it as simple as removing the hex key bolts, then just putting the new ones in and doing the bolts up? Never done it before ya see :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    may be may be not.

some yes some not

take the old ones out and have a look if they are the single bolt on the upper wheel.

also i know KCNC dont do all Sram mechs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I'll wait til tomorrow morning and get back to you on that one.

All I know is I have the latest X0 mech (2010) with 11t wheels

The KCNC webby says they will fit, just not sure how complicated its going to be, mind you, Im not too bad around mechanics (no genius either LOl)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    either way it is not that hard, but if it aint happening dont force it.

i think the newer ones are simple enough as the old fitting has moved down a level or 2 or something.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I *think* if I have read the manual right, that you undo the two hex bolts, then the inner plate of the mech comes away, you then swap wheels over, reattach the inner plate and put the bolts back in, the thing that was confusing me was these disc/covers (Part B in the manual), but I think these are just to cover the bearings, the KCNC bearings are sealed, so it may be easy enough (here's hoping) ;)
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Sounds about right if it's the same procedure as for X9 rear mechs.

The metal covers are there to protect the bushes & bearings on X9 I presume it's the same for X0
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Andy_B wrote:
    Sounds about right if it's the same procedure as for X9 rear mechs.

The metal covers are there to protect the bushes & bearings on X9 I presume it's the same for X0

Thanks guys, yep that's the case, I need to remove the whole wheel unit including the metal covers, and just pop the new ones in as they are sealed and dont require the covers...

Should be simples as Alexander the Meerkat would say ;)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    sounds V. sim to my old deore mech! , very easy really, just take your time
    I like bikes and stuff