anyone use Training Peaks ?

GregC
GregC Posts: 65
edited February 2010 in Training, fitness and health
On a review of some heart rate monitors I noticed that they mentioned whether they were compatible with Training Peaks software .
Does anyone use it or do you just rely on the software with the Polar/Suunto/Garmin unit you've got ?
Have you upgraded to the premium TPeaks version and is it worth it ?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use training peaks, had premium for 12 months but didn't renew.

It's pretty good but not worth it for the premium version.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    GregC wrote:
    On a review of some heart rate monitors I noticed that they mentioned whether they were compatible with Training Peaks software .
    Does anyone use it or do you just rely on the software with the Polar/Suunto/Garmin unit you've got ?
    Have you upgraded to the premium TPeaks version and is it worth it ?

For heart rate data monitoring I wouldn't bother as it offers nothing that can't be had for free elsewhere and the only decent features such as uploading of data directly from the device is chargeable.

Polar (and I think Garmin too) offer fantastic sites for uploading your data to for no cost.

http://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com/
  • Actually, TrainingPeaks.com does allow you to upload as much data as you want from any one of 80+ devices for free. The Basic account is free and although a Premium account does allow you to do more analysis with the data, a Basic account still gives a great view into the workout.

Not trying to convince anyone here one way or the other because (full disclosure) I do work for TrainingPeaks, but if you've got a few minutes... check out our free version and try uploading your Polar, Suunto or Garmin (http://support.trainingpeaks.com/compat ... vices.aspx).

- Jeremy Duerksen, Dir. of Marketing
    Peaksware (www.trainingpeaks.com)
    www.TrainingPeaks.com
    training & nutrition software for athletes and coaches
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    veloslave wrote:
    Actually, TrainingPeaks.com does allow you to upload as much data as you want from any one of 80+ devices for free. The Basic account is free and although a Premium account does allow you to do more analysis with the data, a Basic account still gives a great view into the workout.

Not trying to convince anyone here one way or the other because (full disclosure) I do work for TrainingPeaks, but if you've got a few minutes... check out our free version and try uploading your Polar, Suunto or Garmin (http://support.trainingpeaks.com/compat ... vices.aspx).

- Jeremy Duerksen, Dir. of Marketing
    Peaksware (www.trainingpeaks.com)

Well in that case it isn't a bad alternative however with all the device compatibility that it has it still doesn't support my device - Polar CS600x :wink:

I do transfer my WKO+ to it - more as a backup than anything. Rarely log in. Same with polar website as well. I rarely use it either.

I still prefer my desktop apps - and I use a range of those too. Guess I'm just so last century :lol:
  • I've got WKO+.

I'm a sucker for anything technical and I want to say yes.

But: why would I want to have both WKO+ and a subscription to trainingpeaks.com? What will the latter give me that the former can't?

Andy
  • GregC
    GregC Posts: 65
    whats the difference between WKO+ and training Peaks free version ?
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    WKO isn't free for a start!
    It's standalone desktop package, whereas TP works online, so it's basically a website.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Since we have someone from TrainingPeaks on the forum, perhaps they can explain why WKO+ 3.0 costs $129 for new users, whereas those wishing to upgrade from v2.0 have to pay $64.50 on top of the $99 they forked out for 2.0 in the first place?
    Le Blaireau (1)