Powder Coating?

forcutty
forcutty Posts: 1,055
edited February 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Thinking of sending the old raleigh frame off for powder coating. What do you need to do in words of preparing the frame and what colour should i do it!!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nothing and talk to the people who are going to do it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • forcutty
    surely not thats far to easy :?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Powder coating varies - as nick says, talk to who is doing it and see what they say.
  • nicklouse
    forcutty wrote:
    surely not thats far to easy :?

yes, take them the frame and they will prep and coat it.
    the frame will need to be removed of all fittings like BB and headset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • forcutty
    This still sounds to easy there's got to be a catch :o
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you take it to a place that has a clue how to handle bikes, it'll be fine. If you take it to a place that only does alloy wheel refurbs or park benches or whatever, expect misery.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    forcutty wrote:
    This still sounds to easy there's got to be a catch :o

good luck finding one that has a catch.

Northwind I would disagree with that statement
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Why? If they're not familiar with what needs to be masked, etc, there's a pretty good chance it'll come back with the threads full of powder. And bearing cups if it's a full suss. Not to mention an increased risk of a lower quality finish. Not saying this'll always happen but it's definately a possibility IMO, you hear it a lot on places like this.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Sloper
    Sloper Posts: 141
    I'd agree with Northwind. Find a firm used to doing motorcycle stuff if you can, or even bicycles!

I had my Kona frame powder coated at Triple S Powder Coating in Bingley. They masked all the threads and holes etc before coating and did a super job http://www.triple-s.co.uk/

I've seen some people suffer a world of pain after having motorcycle frames coated at places that didn't care or have any knowledge of them. Threads and bearing surfaces coated over, and that stuff is really difficult to remove.
  • At the very least put some old (scrap) bottom bracket cups in the frame to protect the BB threads from any grit blasting and powder/ overspray.
    Also any other threaded holes, gear hanger etc will need to be cleaned/cleared afterwards.
  • dakkar
    dakkar Posts: 64
    I used triple s and they did a fantastic job, they do everything, all the prep and send it back nice and safe too. All you have to do is get it delivered there.
  • Sloper
    Sloper Posts: 141
    One thing I should add...

As I said earlier, Triple S did a great job for me. They masked off everything they could, but the BB shell, the top and bottom faces of the headstock and the rear brake caliper mounts all got coated. I had to get a 'chase and face' job done, which cost me 20 quid at my favourite LBS.

mmcavity has an idea there. Perhaps screw some old BB cups in, to keep the coating off it (unless they cam mask it?)