road cassette on mtb

toadontheroad
toadontheroad Posts: 27
edited February 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
hi,

i have a commie super 4.2 and its got a sram x9 rear mech, sram x7 shifters and a sram cassette but as i am a bit of a roadie i find the range on the cassette useless. i would really like a road cassette on the back. at a guess its the standard 32-11 cassette which is just useless, i cant ever see the need for a 22 ring at the front and 32 at the rear?!?!?!
also its an XT hub on a 319 rim.

is there anything stopping me from putting a road cassette on the back? i presume i might need to shorten the chain a bit?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Nothing other than the expense of buying one and shortening the chain if needed. I rode my Kona in the last 2 years of it's life, albeit in a commute set-up, with a 13-23 cassette.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and then when you find some real hills. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    nicklouse wrote:
    and then when you find some real hills. :wink:

It's what legs are for, you get off and walk. In the time I had my Kona set-up with a 13/23-36/44 there wasn't a hill that caught me out, not that I rode up many.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    redvee wrote:
    there wasn't a hill that caught me out, not that I rode up many.

:wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • thanks for the advice

i cant remember the last time i used the granny gear so i think i might just get away with it - though i think my legs will hate me...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This one in Sheff might get ya!

mjimji_089.JPG

From a standing start you need legs of steel to get going in moderate gear! Nice easy spin though on a 22/34 ;-)