What are they called and what are they used for ?

StreetWarrior
StreetWarrior Posts: 4
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Anyone knows about what I would describe as bicycle wheel rims ? When you place them, they hide the spokes. They can be plastic or aluminum. What are they used for anyway ?
Thanks 4 your input. :shock:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that makes no sense at all.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Do you mean like the rear wheel on this bike ?

2363308061_f34db2e2ed.jpg
  • nicklouse
    but then the OP would have posted in the road section?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Ban
  • Its exactly that. Whats their use ? :shock:
  • No if he doesn't know what they are or what they are used for, why would he know they were for track bikes and not MTBs ?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    nicklouse wrote:
    but then the OP would have posted in the road section?

No idea but thats clearly what he's on about.
  • It' so the manufacturers can use massive logos, charge you twice the price and get a free advert out of it - All you get is the same old wheel and a bit of plastic. :wink:
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    Isn't it for aerodynamic purposes or something? less resistance because there are no spokes?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Disc Drive! :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    They used to have them on MTB's and BMX's back-in-the-day too. I don't know the use, probably aero.
  • Thanks for the info people, here's what I found on the net now that called disc wheels :shock:

Feature Products
    http://www.tootoo.com/s-ps/hed-stinger- ... 07702.html

HED Stinger Rear Carbon Disc Wheel
    Product Description

The Hed disc is where it all began, and in 2009 the new HED Stinger Carbon Disc is poised to pick up where the Standard disc left off. What makes a wheel better? Lighter, stiffer, stronger, faster... any of these are an improvement. With HED's new construction technology, the HED Stinger Carbon Disc is all of these. Pure speed it will never get old. The Stinger rim substrate makes the disc even lighter and stiffer. Stinger tire to rim interface is more aero than the Jet version, so the HED Stinger Carbon Disc is even faster.
    SPECIFICATIONS:
    * C2 platform rims for decreased rolling resistance
    * Sonic hubs
    * Tordial bulge disc sides
    * Rim Width: 23mm
    * Weight: 1040g
    * Ideal Wind Angle: 5+
    * Optimum Wind Angle: 15

481658_c887d4a2508a63f2d7f1fb3fd6142894.jpg
  • nicklouse
    so nothing to do with MTB and even less (as i thought as i moved this out of the street section).
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Not very good in a cross wind I'd imagine. Whipped up and straight under the nearest bus :shock:
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • I used to want a yellow muddy fox with a disc wheel when I was a yoof :D

there were two brothers at school, yaer above and two years above me, they both had the muddyfox's with the disc covers on! could hear them coming from miles off lol! used to be very jelous of them!!

dad now has covers like that on his wheelchair wheels! lol!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    I used to want a yellow muddy fox with a disc wheel when I was a yoof :D
    You mean, one of these bad boys - my 1st mountain bike - Muddy Fox Courier comp w/full padset (handlebar pad/shoulder pad with pouch. Lasted me nearly a month.Wheels discs were used in the early days of MTB (Tioga disc drive) for aerodynamics, back when downhill racing was simply racing down an occasionally bumpy mountain side. Useless if there was a side wind (unless you were jumping and trying to do a Nac-Nac or get the back end out), but early versions just made an racket.
    n653307234_829619_6193.jpg
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I know on a wheel chair they are called spoke guards, as your hand is on the rim and fingers could get caught and if you are in a team wheelchair sport lkje basketball there is a safety aspect again. For MTB who knows.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • They are used on Time Trial bikes as a means of improving aerodynamics on the bike...making it easier to get up to speed and keep the speed.

They were used on MTBs a good few years back - Tioga did it, but this wasn't just a plastic cover over the spokes - this was the the spokes - made a very strong wheel but apparently a real faff to adjust and didn't really have the same aerodynamic advantages as it did have on the road...

They soon lost their appeal on MTBs, but every now and again a cheaper MTB comes along with them on - it's a great eye catcher and a lot of kids bikes use them to be big and bright and appeal to them...
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • Yes, that's the one - Muddy Fox courier :D It must have been about 1988 when I wanted one of those! Don't know how expensive they were, but unfortunately my parents couldn't afford it. So, my first MTB was a Peugeot Flame instead - It was yellow, but no disc!
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Think it cost mother £250-£300..think it was 1989...mainly remember her not being impressed after i farked it a month later...back to bmx for a few years after that.
  • To the OP...

The 'disc' wheels you speak of are only used (there are VERY rare exceptions) on road bikes. And even so, they can only be used on the track (fixed gear bikes) as there's no wind, and on time-trial bikes.

They're not made for MTB's (AFAIK) and would give you little / no advantage over conventional wheels...

Plus, they are horrifically expensive!!!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    P-Jay wrote:
    They used to have them on MTB's and BMX's back-in-the-day too. I don't know the use, probably aero.

I remember them as well ,,