Juicy 5 alignement...

Gazmondo
Gazmondo Posts: 91
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm probably missing something obvious, but everytime I take my wheel (whether it be front or rear) off so it will fit in the car, the brake levers get caught and tighten the pads up so I can't fit the wheel back on... If I manage to fit it on the pads are rubbing against the rotor and the wheel doesn't move freely, the only solution I've found is to losing the bleeding nut thing and get it re-bled... surely I'm missing something obvious as I can't be expected to rebleed my brakes everytime I take my wheels off?

The brakes are Avid Juicy 5s both F&R.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fit the pad spacers so that the pads can not be pushed in.

or use something clean to push the pads/pistons back after they have been moved.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Where can I buy the pad spacers?

What would you recommend using to push the pads and pistons back?

Appreciate your response mate
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i use a long flat headed screwdriver for pushing the pistons back in but i remove the pads first and am very careful.

i also find that pulling and releasing the lever gently as i prize the pads apart helps to move them easier.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Gazmondo wrote:
    Where can I buy the pad spacers?

What would you recommend using to push the pads and pistons back?

Appreciate your response mate

They generally come with the brakes, but not with built bikes. The ones that came with my code 5s are 4mm thick so I guess a 4mm plastic building/window frame shim would work a hardware store should have some, failing that piece of plastic, wood or stiff cardboard would stop them from getting stuck in the first place.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll: