mtbrambo Posts: 60
edited February 2010 in MTB buying advice
Im planning on putting some gear in mine ran out of ideas any suggestions? :D

Cannondale F6

'Ow that hurt'

Comments

• handon94
    handon94 Posts: 137
    a new shock stew save up and put a rock shox recon :)
    diamondback LS02
    giant talon 2 -http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236/handon_2010/?action=view&current=Photo0069.jpg&newest=1

"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • hexus multi-tool, a power link, spare inner tube, pump, extra tyre levers, mobile phone ,some cable ties. and a couple of mars bars.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    multi tool, tyre levers, puncture repair kit, glueless inner tube patches, pump, chain tool, spare chain links/powerlink, spare inner tube, chain lube, bike lights, cable ties
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Mutlitool, tyre levers, glueless patches, pump, chaintool, powerlink, 2 inner tubes, cable ties...
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    edited January 2010
    multi tool, tyre levers, puncture repair kit, glueless inner tube patches, pump, chain tool, powerlink, spare inner tubes, bit of food- Mars bar or similar, first aid kit (small one) and one of those silver emergency blankets- take up almost no room and weigh next to nowt.
    and on last nights ride, my saddle....
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Drinks bladder :P
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    ratty2k wrote:
    and on last nights ride, my saddle....
    Care to eleborate? :D
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Pumps (shock and normal), saddle bag with two tubes, puncture kit, leavers, multi tool, spare mech hanger for old frame (helpful hey!! new frame is steel)spare batteries,
    energy gells, house keys and some other random spares in the front pockets,

normally if am only doing a short loop will chuck the saddle bag and a bottle, but cant be bothered to unpack it all the time so just chuck it in the bag! :wink:
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Depends on the ride but the standard is :
    Cool Tool, tyre levers, gear cable, cable ties, spare tube, pump, toothpaste tube, chewy bar, mini front LED light, mobile phone AND BEER TOKENS :wink:

For longer rides or rides away from home I add :
    spare base layer, more chewy bars, first aid kit
  • mrfmilo
    warrerj wrote:
    Cool Tool, tyre levers, gear cable, cable ties, spare tube, pump, toothpaste tube, chewy bar, mini front LED light, mobile phone AND BEER TOKENS :wink:

Why a gear cable? And toothpaste? :)
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Basics are tyre levers, patches, spare tube, pump, Crank Bros Multi-tool, a little Leatherman tool with pliers on, spare SRAM powerlink, a couple of cable ties, and a bunch of muesli bars/Mars bars.

For an event or a longer/more remote ride maybe another tube, plus extra clothing to suit, and maybe lights if I'm going to have a significant bit of road riding in the dark/dusk.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Water. :oops:
  • warrerj
    mrfmilo wrote:
    warrerj wrote:

Gear cable only a few grams takes no space and if you'd ever had one snap on a ride you'd know how much of a PITA it is !!

Not toothpaste. Toothpaste tube. ends cut off and split up 1 side. sed as a tyre boot if you ever split a tyre. Stops the tbe stickign through and gets you home :wink:
  • mrfmilo
    warrerj wrote:
    mrfmilo wrote:
    warrerj wrote:

Gear cable only a few grams takes no space and if you'd ever had one snap on a ride you'd know how much of a PITA it is !!

Not toothpaste. Toothpaste tube. ends cut off and split up 1 side. sed as a tyre boot if you ever split a tyre. Stops the tbe stickign through and gets you home :wink:

Ah ok good idea. :)
  • Bikehawk
    Bikehawk Posts: 102
    Stick most of the spares type stuff in the saddle bag as have had a nasty experience with all that stuff in the bag after parting ways with the bike. Generally energy gels, mars bar, water, keys, mobile phone and foil emergency blanket (hyperthermia is not fun) go into the bag. Externally a light weight top. Only using a lobo so space is tight anyway.
  • Nice to see someone has mentioned a foil blanket!

I carry a basic first aid kit in addition to my bike kit/repair stuff.

Lets face it alot of us push ourselves to potentially bone snapping speeds - you don't need anything clever. I'd suggest

-Foil blankets - you can get them from walking/outdoorsey shops and cost about £5.
    -A bandage - you can strap up a wound or use it with a good stick to make a splint for a broken limb.
    -Tournique - to stem major bleeding from a limb.
    -Couple of plasters and maybe some medical tape.
    -Mobile phone

I also carry the below but I am fortunate enough to have advanced life support training and am confident to use these:

-Geudel (mouth) airway
    -Mouth valve/cover (for cleaner rescue breaths - eating someone elses blood and mud ain't nice)
    -surgical scissors (if you need to get clothes off quick (i.e. to access a wound!)) and a small arterial forceps.

Believe it or not that all fits very easily in sealed food bags at the bottom of my pack and takes up little space. The last 3 maybe overkill but the others are worth thinking about.
  • warrerj
    Tom Barton wrote:

That's a major off if you need a tournique !!! AND unless your a medical pro something yo should not be using !!
  • Sloper
    Sloper Posts: 141
    Condoms, credit card.
  • warrerj
    Where do you swipe that when you're using your condoms ??? :wink::lol:
  • Water - obviously! Even though I often don't drink enough of it!
    Spare tube, glueless patches, tyre levers, multi tool (thinking about getting a better one), powerlink, slightly bent spare mech hanger (better than a completely fecked one in an emergency!), small 1st aid kit, silver foil emergency blanket, mobile phone, spare batteries for lights (try and remember to take these out when not night riding!), spare small led rear light.

I also carry a small adjustable spanner but thinking about | don't know why, so it's going to be removed!
    Trek Top Fuel 9 2010, Stumpy Pro 2009 ,Giant XTC3 2009, Qu-ax Penny Farthing,
    Elswick Hopper Model M delivery Bike 1960

God Shave The Queen!
  • ]
    That's a major off if you need a tournique !!! AND unless your a medical pro something yo should not be using !!

Major off indeed - and I know of a bloke who somehow managed to put a handlebar through the inside of his thigh (and thus was very lucky not to damage any major blood vessals) so it can potentially happen and help can be a long way off.

Its not medical rocket science, you don't put one on if someone has a regular wound because you could can cause tissue damage to the limb, but if you are presented with a rider with totally uncontrolled bleeding (life or death situation), lets face it you'd have tournique it or apply alot of pressure one way or another and then elevate the limb. You do not have to be a medical pro to deliver first aid.

However, that said if you haven't had any first aider training and are not happy on how to use one - don't use one. It was just a suggestion :)
  • 3L camelbak, first aid kit, spare inner tube, pump, swiss army knife, set of allen keys, puncture repair kit, chain tool and spare links, kitkat, zip ties, insulating tape, nail clippers (for zip ties), colgate toothpaste tube (tyre repair), coat, rear light, phone, keys, and probably one or two other things I've forgotten about!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Water, snack, mobile phone, micro-fleece or waterproof depending on weather prospects.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Map, Compass, Energy Shots, Beef Jerky, Puncture repair kit, Mini Pump, Spare Inner Tube, tools, Money, Mobile Phone, Whistle, SRAM Power Links, Buff, First Aid Kit.

Might get one of those silver blanket things, they fold up pretty small.

All that fits in one of those little tesco camelbackalike things!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    What's the idea of the toothpaste tubes by the way?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    mtbrambo wrote:
    What do you carry in your camelback?
    Litter esp. empty cans of Monster/Relentless/Red Bull and punctured inner tubes :roll:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    spare tubes, both pumps(shock and tyre), sram powerlink, multitool, chocolate and beer :D
  • In no particular order: powerbars and gels, spare inner tubes, multitool, tyre levers, powerlinks, glueless patches, tissues, foil blanket, shock pump, normal pump, phone, water, possibly extra layers depending on weather forecast, wallet, camera, cash and an OS map (depending on where I am).
  • James T
    James T Posts: 104
    Tom Barton wrote:

Lots of other stuff people have about them could work as a pretty effective tournique, like a belt or strap, or even a piece of clothing.

Out of interest, why do people carry two types of pump, would it not be possible to get enough air into a shock using a normal pump to get yourself home / use the lock out and ride rigid if the shock fails - or is it so you can adjust shock pressures mid ride?