Juicy sevens

Pik n Mix
Pik n Mix Posts: 39
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello All

I have recently upgraded my v's to some Juicy 7's this is my first dealing with disk brakes and fitting them was a breeze, my only problem is the rear one is bedded in perfectly, bites nice and sharply however the front seems a bit spongy, it stops you eventually but doesnt have the bite of the rear one.

I have had them on long enough they should have bedded in by now so im a bit stumped?

Any ideas? Could it be as simply as the rotor needs a wipe?

As i say never had disks before so not really sure how to tweak them/clean rotors etc

PnM

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    when you pull the lever does the disc get moved sideways or twisted?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • No matey

everythings solid.

PnM
  • nicklouse
    what do you mean by solid you said the lever was spongy?

so the disc does not get moved by the pads?

the brake feels solid?

contaminated pads.

Or you mean that there is no movement in the disc but the lever is spongy?

in which case bleed the brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Hello

Sorry, there is no movement in the disc, the levers both feel the same the back one stops sharply but the front one comes to a halt with no obvious bite.

As i say the levers feel exactly the same.

PnM
  • nicklouse
    so either the front is not bedded in yet of you have contaminated it and the disc.

or you are just expecting different results to what you will get.

dont forget that there is a lot more force on the front when braking.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I would have said it's the factory bleed not being any good, I've heard of new avid brakes going all the way to bars wheen you pull the lever with not as much power as you would expect. Or possibly a glazed/contaminated pad (hundress of posts on this) with all the water about at the moment it is a pain to bed in brakes.
    So a contamination/graze fix and a decent bleed will probably sharpen things up.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll: