Mud Guards

dan1502
dan1502 Posts: 568
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
I've read quite a few of the reviews but would also like to know what users think. I own a 29er which might complicate things a little. What front and rear guards are recommended? Looking outside today, these are things I probably need quite urgently as though I don't mind getting muddy, I don't want to when I'm riding along muddy paths to see friends, go to shops etc.
Santa Cruz Tallboy

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Depends what level of coverage you're looking for and your taste. Usually a Crud race guard for the rear and opinion is divided on the front. If you want full coverage then the SKS Shockboard or similar design stops liquid cow/sheep sh!t overspray that the other designs don't stop but you might not need that. So a Down tube type guard might fit the bill, like the crud catcher. Other front designs designs are available, like the NeoGuard type design. All have varying degrees of success / fans. Much depends on where and what you encounter on a ride.
  • dan1502
    I think I'd read the Crud Race and SKS Shockboar combination before. I'll probabyl go for that as the SKS looks ok in my opinion as it only has a small overhang.

Thanks

(I've just done a quick inventory to check what I have bought so far and what I still need and have spent over £250 over and above the cost of the bike already - ouch!)
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • dan1502
    I just called my local Evans to check stock and prices and they have them but the guy said I should also consider the Topeak Defender as though slightly more expensive, he believe they are better and look nicer. Any views?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • blister pus
    It's an option - he's a salesman ;)

what he won't tell you is the natural flex in the Shockboard means it can take an impact and bounce and the Topeak is more likely to break being 'firmer'.

As for looks, you've got the eyes and you're buying.
  • dan1502
    Very true and I am well aware of salesmen. That said, you do occasionally get some or are genuinely helpful.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • dan1502
    Just had time to check the user reviews on here and they're not good. Other reviews I've seen are though.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • SKS Beavertails ought to fit for ~£13 at CRC or alike. Work a treat on both my Pylon8 and Tricross Singlecross (26" and 28" wheels),
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I've got the Crud fast fender and like it a lot....cheap, easy to fit and stop all over spray.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=39951
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    Hy gf has the Topeak defender, and I have the shockboard.

IMHO the topeak has a more 'wannabee' trials bike look about it, and the shockboard looks more functional.

Also I always end up cleaner at the end of rides, which is not conclusive proof, but as we ride the same trails, then in my mind it suggests the shockboard is a more effective front mudguard.

As I say this not proof, but I can only go by what I see :-)

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Not a fan of the Fast fender type looks personally.

Bagged myself a Muckynutz Bender Fender which in my opinion looks better than it's rivals, works well at stopping that overspray that ends up in your face and at £7 is nice and cheap too.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I still can't work out what the point of the Fast Fender is, it's even more visible than a shockboard or similiar but less effective. Fair enough if you've got a fork that can't take a stem mount guard but for everyone else, a shockboard or equivalent, or a THE fender if you want something bigger, is just better.

i think Crud just wanted to make a front guard that they could say is compatible with their tube guards, rather than making one product that does 2 jobs. I guess that'd be too much like admitting after all these years that actually downtube guards are rubbish :lol:

I love my shockboard, but I've finally killed it- it was tough on the trails but I parked a motorbike on it :oops: So I'm trying other stuff before I get another, just now I've fitted a muckynuts bender fender, which tbh isn't close to as good but then it weighs nothing and it's barely visible. Kind of cool.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    The only problem I've got with the muckynuts bender fender is it hasn't got a prayer of catching outer edge tyre flick back - which if you use tyre treads that produce that type of effect you might as well not bother.
  • dan1502
    Oh well I ended up buying the topeak defender M1/M2 set as they had them in stock and seem to be fine with my 29er and looked better than the SKS. I managed to get Evans to price match the cheapest online price I could find them at in the limited time I had and they've agreed to price match a silly price i found for a helmet and order it in the colour I want. I just need to give them the web address which I didn't have with me.

Thanks guys, I'm now off for a quick ride before it's too dark as my lights haven't arrived yet
    Santa Cruz Tallboy