Bianchi with rack and panniers?

berylburton
berylburton Posts: 13
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I am thinking of buying the Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu Xenon for my 9 mile each way cross-London commute. (helpful review on bikeradar - thanks Volestrangler)
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2010

I have been waiting two years for C2W - so have had plenty of time to look and dream so am pretty sure this bike is the baby for me.

Only question: would I be crazy to add a rack and panniers? :roll:

I need to carry clothes and shoes to change at work, and can't stand arriving with a sweaty back from a bag.
Also, as a lady, I find bags uncomfortable as they are made for bolkes who generally have bigger shoulders and backs.

Any advice?

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Getting the weight on to the bike is the best thing i've done. You dont have to use a rack though carradice vaude and others do some big seat packs 10l and over. I've got a vaude off road pack but this month i'm treating myself to an axiom streamliner rack for my boardman(no rack mounts required) because i fill the vaude bag easily.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    I doubt the Nirone has the mounting points for a rack. You could look into using p-clips but i don't know how effective they are.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tor ... s-ec006759
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • P clips are brilliant things, I've used them for ooooooh a good 2 years of pannier carrying and they haven't let me down yet. And I used them for a good 2 years of pannier carrying before I got the Bowery.

And panniers are fantastic, definitely a vast improvement on a rucksack, and the rack can be used for carrying all sorts of other things as well as your usual kit... I've carried a pair of wheels on mine, for example...

I would go for a full pair of panniers and a rack over a seat pack every time, sorry prawny!
  • Thanks - I do like using panniers on my trusty Ridgeback Comet - but as the bianchi will be a totally different beast ...

Thanks ffor the advice everyone! Will investigate P Clips, and try not to lug too much about with me ...
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Is that not akin to putting roof racks on a Ferrari? :D

I thought about getting the Via Nirone as my commute bike but decided not to in the end. The daily battering from the commute would probably wreck it.

Why not just keep using your Ridgeback for the commute, and save the Bianchi for the weekends?
  • kelsen wrote:
    Is that not akin to putting roof racks on a Ferrari? :D

I thought about getting the Via Nirone as my commute bike but decided not to in the end. The daily battering from the commute would probably wreck it.

Why not just keep using your Ridgeback for the commute, and save the Bianchi for the weekends?

Ha ha! Have you tried 20n miles a day on a ridgeback comet? it is not fun! and, the only time I get to ride is my daily commute so want to do it on something a bit fun.

Yeah - take the point about a roof rack on a ferarri - gues that's what I am concerned about. Guess I could just wear cycling clothes all day at work ... !