Anybody know what this is?

AndyOgy
AndyOgy Posts: 579
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Took this in at the bike shop where I work as a px.

Just don't know what the hell it is. It says Pro Bike on the side but it has what looks to be chinese writing over other parts of the frame. My feeling is that the words 'Pro Bike' are a decoy and not the actual brand.

Strangely, it's in really good condition. Everything works apart from the dynamo light set.

22637_278569958556_709708556_3473274_2931502_n.jpg

22637_278570428556_709708556_3473275_700746_n.jpg

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    That's what the DVLA do if you don't pay road tax.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I'm pretty sure it's some sort of folding bike....
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Chino collapso
    "If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink."
  • possibly a prototype of the next Alex Moulton esque folding entrepreneur out there but likely an eastern origin BSO

It's not like any pro bike I've noticed or seen advertised, tho I don't see many folders apart from mine in North Manchester and haven't been keeping up recently - I'm sulking as they're always relatively nasty about Birdy's.

an interesting concertina fold but not much cop on carrying or rolling it along with you, you'll have the fun of smacking your shin with the pedals and one side the added joy of getting whatever is on the chain rubbed all over your legs too.
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    How secure are the locking devices for when it's unfolded? I can just imagine riding into a pot hole and having the bike fold itself up neatly underneath you :D
  • AndyOgy
    marchant wrote:
    How secure are the locking devices for when it's unfolded? I can just imagine riding into a pot hole and having the bike fold itself up neatly underneath you :D

It's kinda tricky to explain but there is a spring loaded bolt which holds everything in place. The bolt is pushed out of place when the stand is folded out. ie the bike will only fold when the stand is out.

It does feel like a quality piece of engineering and the standard of the fitted components lead me to believe that it's not just another BSO.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I've seen one before, but I've no idea what it is.
    Remember spending a while trying to find out afterwards, with no joy.

How does it ride?
  • AndyOgy
    It's really quite smooth. Not the lightest folder around, about 12-13kg at a guess. But it certainly doesn't feel 'cheap'