Question about choice of routes on Cheshire Cat

chalkstorm
chalkstorm Posts: 84
:?:

Hi all

First roady question from a seasoned MTBer - so be gentle... :D

I've entered my first sportive this year - the Cheshire Cat. Not really ridden road bikes seriously - for 25 years.... so should be fun.

Anyway - I've entered the 100 - but since entering, I've found I have a hernia - and have the op in 3 weeks. Will I have the choice on the day (on the course) to change to the 67 mile route if I feel I'm risking injury?

Cheers

Si

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    chalkstorm wrote:
    :?:

Hi all

First roady question from a seasoned MTBer - so be gentle... :D

I've entered my first sportive this year - the Cheshire Cat. Not really ridden road bikes seriously - for 25 years.... so should be fun.

Anyway - I've entered the 100 - but since entering, I've found I have a hernia - and have the op in 3 weeks. Will I have the choice on the day (on the course) to change to the 67 mile route if I feel I'm risking injury?

Cheers

Si

You can do whatever route you like! It's just the timng will be out...
  • Almost right.

If you let them know at signing on or after your ride they amend your distance.

I believe they have timing mats which you absolutely must cross to get to the feedstations this year so they should get who did what distance right. Also stops people who try to ride for free and still take food.
  • Ok, thanks for that guys.... :D
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    edited February 2010
    leghurty wrote:
    Almost right.

If you let them know at signing on or after your ride they amend your distance.

I believe they have timing mats which you absolutely must cross to get to the feedstations this year so they should get who did what distance right. Also stops people who try to ride for free and still take food.

obviously people who do that [EDIT: I mean people who don't pay and nick food] have problems. but I'm guessing the cost of laying and policing the extra timing mats is substantially more than the loss of stolen food...

Back on topic - don't worry you can ride the shorter distance on the day and if you tell them what you're doing, the times will be fine. You would definitely not be the only participant who entered the 100 and did the 60 on the day...
  • Back on topic - don't worry you can ride the shorter distance on the day and if you tell them what you're doing, the times will be fine. You would definitely not be the only participant who entered the 100 and did the 60 on the day...

I did the reverse last year, entered and trained for the 66 miler then was talked into turning right onto the 100 miler at the roundabout where the routes split. It doesn't matter, it will just make your time look really good on the results list on the website, just as mine looked really bad. To be honest, it was a pretty poor time even for 100 miles never mind 66!