edited February 2010 in The bottom bracket
Can Andy win this ?

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    edited January 2010
    Can Andy win this ?

I hope so!

I'm 'iced in' this morning, so that's my entertainment...

EDIT: More 'plucky Brit' than 'whinging Scot'! IMHO. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    What drama , a couple of breaks already !

Snake

My Library
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    good start to it - and a fantastic excuse not to go out on the bike as its way to cold !
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    1 set down for the dour Scot
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Can't take to the guy I'm afraid.
  • Why is it in any sport while any English contestants are involved the Scots are Scots, then soon as there is no longer any English involvement the Scot becomes "British"? :wink:

Mind you when there are no Brits involved the media suddenly come over all Irish if there's an Irish contestant/team. :oops:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • **************************Spoilers************************************************
    **************************************************************************************

All over Ladies and Gents, although 3rd set was awesome Fed got Murray 12 - 10 in the tie break. Went to-and-fro between set-points (for Murray) and championships points (for Federer) for ages. Was edge of the seat stuff. Was going for Murray as i wanted the match to go atleast 4 sets but wasn't to be Fed just too strong......

6-4 6-3 7-6 (12-10 in tie break)
    Do you have any Therapeutic Use Exemptions?
    No. Never have.
    Never? What about the cortisone?
    Well, obviously there was the cortisone
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Hats off to murray, score looks like he took a beating but he never gave up. No disgrace finishing second to federer. Murray is the best of the rest.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Can Andy win this ?

Best result of the weekend

Re
    ember Paraguay ? No wonder us patriotic Englishmen celebrate when you lose Mr Murray

Who do we support? Yes anyone you are playing against
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Being half Scot I can't hold with that. But I don't really give a stuff about tennis.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    spen666 wrote:
    Can Andy win this ?

Re
    ember Paraguay ? No wonder us patriotic Englishmen celebrate when you lose Mr Murray

+1
  • Well, if you "patriotic Englishmen" are looking for a Brit born in England to be the UK's best male tennis player, I think you're going to be waiting a long time.
  • spen666 wrote:
    Can Andy win this ?

Re

To be fair, when Murray came out with that quote the interviewer had been taking the piss about Scotland not being there .
    Suburban studs yodel better than anyone else
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I think the Paraguay story should be taken with a pinch of salt and with reference to the interviewers other questions/references. Us 'Brits' have always taken the p1ss out of each other, haven't we? (and long may that banter continue!!)
    If a Brits competing then I'm shouting for them. If Murray's character is to be miserable and thats what it takes, so what! Sir Steve Redgrave was hardly happiness personified when competing, was he? :wink:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Murray isn't there to make us laugh or to be Oscar Wilde. He trains hard to win bloody Grand Slams :roll:
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Aggieboy wrote:
    I think the Paraguay story should be taken with a pinch of salt and with reference to the interviewers other questions/references. Us 'Brits' have always taken the p1ss out of each other, haven't we? (and long may that banter continue!!)
    If a Brits competing then I'm shouting for them. If Murray's character is to be miserable and thats what it takes, so what! Sir Steve Redgrave was hardly happiness personified when competing, was he? :wink:

+1
  • Fed was just superb, Poor Andy (or anyone else) couldn't live with that. Not a plucky Scot. Just a great tennis player who met someone a bit better than him.
  • spen666 wrote:
    Can Andy win this ?

Remember Paraguay ? No wonder us patriotic Englishmen celebrate when you lose Mr Murray

spot on, I was going to ask if he wants to swap his Paraguay top for my Switzerland one.

talented bloke but comes across as a manky human being
  • I must have missed the whole Murray-wearing-a-Paraguay-football-top-fracas (or have forgotten), but if it helps the anti-Murray camp any, Wikipedia says that it's not true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Murray

Ditto Murray's website:

http://www.murraysworld.com/biography/
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Leave Andy alone, just like Wiggin's he good but just not good enough, YET!
  • I must have missed the whole Murray-wearing-a-Paraguay-football-top-fracas (or have forgotten), but if it helps the anti-Murray camp any, Wikipedia says that it's not true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Murray

Ditto Murray's website:

http://www.murraysworld.com/biography/

it's alright I've not really got a Switzerland top :wink:

Ah Wikipedia,that's ok then. :roll: I wonder why sites pro Murray would deny a story that alienates him from a huge chunk of his potential support.
  • spen666
    Aggieboy wrote:

why take it with a pinch of salt? He chose to make that anti English remark

his apologists claim it was a joke - he's never apologised for any offense caused by it
    #

furthermore, Murray was representing Murray in the Australian OPen - he's not representing England, Scotland or Britain

Redgrave @ Olympics was representing Great Britain

This is nothing to do with how happy someone comes over. It is to do with Murray making anti English remarks

Twittering @spen_666
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    There's a bit of a difference between saying you support a team playing England and making anti-English remarks. Or is your national itdentity so shallow that you define it solely on 11 over-paid, wife cheating, girlfriend stealing, endorsement chasing prima donnas; who wear 3 Lions and claim to "love their country".

Scratch the surface and they're out for themselves as well (other than when national pride and making money line up)....and I'm a Scot who actually supports England.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Being an Anglo-Scot, I get into this debate more frequently than its significance really merits. Here are two odd moments:

In a pub in Glasgow, chatting away perfectly amicably. Then comes "I hate you English b8stards, no offence" (and he means the last two words sincerely) :?

In a pub in London, chatting away perfectly amicably until this topic comes up and people start to get all embarassed about it. Then comes "Well, never mind, at least we all hate the French, don't we?" (and I'm thinking, well no, actually, I don't) :?

Perhaps there is a distinction between giving offence and taking offence.

Anyway, the better player won the tennis (disappointing to a Scot or a Brit at that level) and later in the day the better team won the football (disappointing to a Gooner, like me :( ).

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    spen666 wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

why take it with a pinch of salt? He chose to make that anti English remark

his apologists claim it was a joke - he's never apologised for any offense caused by it
    #

furthermore, Murray was representing Murray in the Australian OPen - he's not representing England, Scotland or Britain

Redgrave @ Olympics was representing Great Britain

This is nothing to do with how happy someone comes over. It is to do with Murray making anti English remarks

Here's his reply when questioned about it :-

Q: What about the football remarks?
    A: I am Scottish. I am also British. I am not anti-English, I never was... what happened was a little joke that went wrong.

It was the time of the 2006 World Cup and England were due to play Paraguay. Tim Henman and I were being interviewed and before we started the journalist asked Tim about England's chances in the World Cup and asked me who I would be supporting.

He was making the point that Scotland weren't there. I got the joke. I laughed. We did the interview and the last question was: "Who will you be supporting?" Remembering our previous banter, I just said: "Whoever England are playing, ha ha." I had a smile on my face.

It was obvious I was joking. It wasn't reported like that. They made up stories about me buying a Paraguay shirt, the whole thing was absolute nonsense.

Whether you believe him or not is up to you. As far as I'm concerned he can support who he wants anyway. As for causing offence, really? I've obviously got a lot thicker (English) skin than you.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • I hate Tennis, there is a Tennis Club near where I grew up and as local working class kids we weren’t welcome, that in not so many words was made very clear to us. I understand that the LTA now realises that the sports elitist attitude (promoted by them) has cost them any chance of producing a winner. Tiger Tim :roll: ?
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    [/quote]

talented bloke but comes across as a manky human being[/quote]

Not that you're in any way bitter :wink:
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • I'm sure the biggest thing on Murrays mind was that some people don't want him to win cos of something he said when he was a teenager in reply to a loaded question.

I also don't understand the hatred towards Hamilton for leaving the country. Button doesn't live here, neither did Coulthard, Schumacher left Germany for Switzerland, but for some reason someone always brings it up as a reason to hate him.
  • mcj78 wrote:

talented bloke but comes across as a manky human being[/quote]

Not that you're in any way bitter :wink:[/quote]

:lol::lol::lol: meeee, little ray of sunshine that I am????

For his ability and cash I think I'd crack a smile once in a while. Most of the really top players had a streak of personality, be it Connors and Becker faffing about or McEnroe exploding on cue. You need a streak of devilment in your psyche for mass appeal to those who take a passing interest and Murray has never shown that he's got that zing.
  • spen666
    Aggieboy wrote:
    .... the last question was: "Who will you be supporting?" Remembering our previous banter, I just said: "Whoever England are playing, ha ha." .....

Proves my point

i'm supporting whover Murray plays

If its alright for Murray to say he is (or to actually) support England's opponents, then why is it not ok for me to say i'm supporting Murray's opponents

I say it with a smile on my face so that makes it alright

Twittering @spen_666