damn it...

jay12
jay12 Posts: 6,306
edited January 2010 in The Crudcatcher
i fitted the cassette(9speed) on my old wheel(had an 8 speed) and it fits but when i pot it onto the frame, the cassette is touching the frame making it very hard to turn. now i will have to buy a rear wheel which is a good and a bad thing

Comments

• Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Sure it's fitted right?
  • jay12
    yeah. i pressed it down as much as possible as well
  • Andy
    8 and 9 speed cassettes are the same size so I can't see why it would make a difference?
  • Are you absolutely sure it's not a 7-speed (not patronising at all) ?
  • jay12
    Are you absolutely sure it's not a 7-speed (not patronising at all) ?
    i can count :wink:
  • jay12
    Andy wrote:
    8 and 9 speed cassettes are the same size so I can't see why it would make a difference?
    supersonic told me that as well :?
    anyway if i buy a new wheel it will be fine. maybe the cassette body is screwed up r something?
  • Andy
    jay12 wrote:
    anyway if i buy a new wheel it will be fine

How do you know? Have you tried a different 9 speed cassette before you order a new wheel?
  • You'd be surprised the amount of people who have made the mistake though ;)

Always eliminate the obvious!!! :D
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    post a pic, let us get a look at it, maybe just maybe your overlooking something.
    Fancy a brew?
  • jay12
    ok here are the pics:
    with no cassette4318623686_f7eea63591.jpg

with cassette:
    4318624830_dd9f34d8cd.jpg

on the frame:
    4317892573_4aa471675d.jpg
    4317894013_e85cb4e2be.jpg
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    jay12

Even though those are some of the WORST pictures known to man, it looks like the end of the cassette body - where the largest sproket sits - is a little chewed up, and maybe not sitting totally flush.

Try filing any burrs / inperfections off with a SMOOTH file, and see if it fits.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • jay12
    jay12

Even though those are some of the WORST pictures known to man, it looks like the end of the cassette body - where the largest sproket sits - is a little chewed up, and maybe not sitting totally flush.

Try filing any burrs / inperfections off with a SMOOTH file, and see if it fits.
    :lol: somethings wrong with the settings on the camera.

yeah the end is like that. i think it's supposed to be there and also when the 8 speed cassette was on it was fine :?
  • Chaz.Harding
    THATS your problem, see! (Probably... Don't shoot me if I'm wrong!)

Cheaper hubs use aluminium cassette carriers to easily make them lighter. Trouble is, alu is ALOT softer than steel, and cuts up easier.

The largest sproket on your hub can really apply some torque compared with the smallest, so it forces itself into the body, causing the divets you see.

And it fitted fine with the 8 speed cassette, because the grooves were in the right place - 9 speed has slightly smaller spaces :wink:

Clean it up, and let us know if it slots on. Worst you can do is waste some time, and save some money on a new wheel / hub / cassette carrier...! 8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • jay12
    ok thanks that solves the problem. i don't have a file so will give it a go with sandpaper
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    (About the camera - you didn't need flash on and in the last shot you should have used Macro) :wink:
  • jay12
    i give up. the sandpaper does nothing, i tried to hacksaw the bits of but that will take me ages and anyway i wanted to upgrade the wheels as soon as possible so it doesn't matter that much
  • Chaz.Harding
    Yeah, but try and get hold of a file, borrow one, anything. It will take about 15 mins. And I'm pretty sure you'd like a spare wheel / wheelset, for the sake of 15 mins work. Regardless or not whether you wanted to upgrade.

Besides, if you fix it up, you could always sell them... More £££ for the bike fund... :twisted:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • jay12
    Yeah, but try and get hold of a file, borrow one, anything. It will take about 15 mins. And I'm pretty sure you'd like a spare wheel / wheelset, for the sake of 15 mins work. Regardless or not whether you wanted to upgrade.

Besides, if you fix it up, you could always sell them... More £££ for the bike fund... :twisted:
    i will after the build. anyway i would be surised if someone bought them for a fiver :lol: it weighs 2kg for crying out loud :lol: