This mornings ride

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited January 2010 in The Crudcatcher
Well, left at 7:00am this morning as plannede, twilight and still quite dark (I need to get some lights!!!) so started off on the ride, did the historic ride along the Thames from SE London to Dartford (Kent), turned around and headed back through the local woods (large achreage).... had some fun, great natural trails there, a few technical sections that have remained unchanged and as usual the GT soaked em up and loved it.

DIdn't take a pack, I have a waist pack for hiking that holds two waterbottles either side, and the main compartment comfortably holds key tools/spare tube and a small amount of snackage. Great for when you don't want to carry a full pack (I had all of my layers on me LOL)

Was going great until my mate did a drop off from about 5' and landed badly and snapped 4 of his spokes on rear wheel (Crossrides - have fun getting spokes - another reason I don't use Mavic wheels) I told him not to do it but hey ho :lol:

Great light, gorgeous day, so thought I would take a few snaps - goes to pack can't find my camera!!!!! :lol: After getting the 'panicky' feeling, and shitting myself for 10 mins and phoning the missus, I realised I hadn't brought it to begin with! :oops:

So ride was cut short, but had fun, luckily we were 0.5m from home so could walk the bike back, told him to get some better wheels but he wouldnt listen, I think he will now!!!!

What the rest of you websters up to on this fine (perfect riding weather) morn??

:lol:

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    1.it's snowed alot. hopefully won't have to go to school
    2.i can't ride as i'm building a bike

anyway sounds like you had fun
  • dwill
    dwill Posts: 150
    heading up to kielder resevoir for the day,first ride on the new bike cant wait to give it a spin :lol:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    No ride this morning but I have just built a snowman
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Just got back from a good ride around my local woods :D really pleased with my ongoing fitness managed 4.5mile with only 1 short stop for a breather :wink:
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • Frostys
    Frostys Posts: 277
    Just got back from a spin from Weston Turville through Wendover up through Wendover Woods back down the Ridgeway to Wendover and home... 18 miles on a sunny frosty Sunday morning... lots of bikes out too.

Off to the pub now for a well earned Sunday lunch with all the trimmings.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Feel like everyone is outside enjoying themselves except me, hell, I might even go for a walk :shock:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Frostys
    Walking??? you go steady WP I've heard it can be a bit dangereuse that walking business.... bloody mountain biking hooligans trying to run you over... :wink:
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • Whytepeak
    :lol: I'll be careful don't you worry (takes an extra magazine for the ak74) :shock:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Frostys
    Whytepeak wrote:
    :lol: I'll be careful don't you worry (takes an extra magazine for the ak74) :shock:

Is that like an AK47 bur bigger???? :P
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • Whytepeak
    Frostys wrote:
    Whytepeak wrote:

Is that like an AK47 bur bigger???? :P

Probably :wink: I aint giving away secrets :lol:
  • Was all ready to go for a ride this morning. Sadly, it's snowed again here too and I seem to have come down with the plague. Well ok then maybe it's just a bit of a sniffle but I still couldn't be bothered and decided to go back to bed instead.

Fully intend on spending the rest of the day sat here watching WW2 films.
  • Penylope
    Penylope Posts: 320
    The Heckler is in the LBS, rear shock is going to be tuned, so no riding :cry:

Although TBF i've got a bad back so wouldn't have got far anyway!
    SWMBO has just gone out so me and the dog are sat chillin, just about to have a brew and go t'interwebbing for a bit.
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    This weather is b-e-a-utiful. My hydros gulp every time I brake so it's off to the shop to get them fixed!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    still -11 outside.

not going anywhere.

missmarple

what do you mean by Gulp?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The mrs has just told me the dogs need a walk and she's hurt her leg so cud i take them.....erm...............erm............... go on then :wink: just another excuse for me to get the bike out again :D:D:D
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    spent all day hung over form last nights charidy evening.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    nicklouse wrote:
    still -11 outside.

not going anywhere.

missmarple

what do you mean by Gulp?

When I pull the levers, its as if they're making a gulping sound; I've checked for leaks and it seems all clear; after around 5-10 mins of use; the noise goes. :?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    went to ride my new forks at cannock, snowed and hailed alot, amazingly got the forks set up perfect first time, massive improvement in ride quality of my previous forks and a damn sight lighter too :D just gotta go clean it then ill post some pics in the my rodes section :)

as for the ride itself, hitting snow covered sections of trail at dry speed was pretty fun :lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    lawman
    I was at Cannock today too! I started off at the first hail/snow shower around 11:30, and was packing up the car to go home when the second flurry came down.

I really didn't enjoy it today though, I don't know why, I just couldn't get going, and the bike didn't feel right. I think it was down to having too much pressure in the front tyre, which I didn't figure out until a few minutes before I finished, and then I let too much out so had to stop 30 seconds later to put more in, so that it didn't roll off the wheel.

Also, my new disc rotor kept clogging up with gritty stuff, making it fairly useless.

Then I got snowed on as I was loading the car up.

:evil:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    we got there for a round 10, and were just on the way to swinnotons when the hail came. i have to say i really found my flow today, no doubt helped by my new revelations and thought the snow was an absolute blast :D
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Been out all day ... got in around 5 though the wind chill was brutal as the day went on ...my feet were numb when I finally got home

dsc00110vj.jpg
    Castle semple , there is a trail/path with wire mesh laid down it only goes so far , mainly walkers very few cyclists ever bother making the effort to venture up to the desolate building

dsc00119jb.jpg
    A view from the bottom of the loch looking up

dsc00117st.jpg
    A random pic

dsc00116q.jpg
    This is taken near the base of Castle semple looking up from a different Angle

dsc00111v.jpg
    This is taken from the top of Castle semple .. looking towards Castle semple Loch
  • colintrav
    For posts like that.... its is acceptable to make your own thread :wink:

Looks nice and scenic though... did you get an obligatory bike pic though?
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    edited January 2010
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    colintrav
    For posts like that.... its is acceptable to make your own thread :wink:

Looks nice and scenic though... did you get an obligatory bike pic though?

You not spot my bike in the first pic ???

dsc00121hh.jpg
    I took this because I like the contrasting colours ,, It was taken just shortly after I passed barnbrock camp site

dsc00123g.jpg

On the last leg of my journey it's taken from Barnbeth looking over Ranfurly caste GC and towards Glasgow
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Very well camouflaged bike there!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."