Does Blair have a god complex?

Coriander
Coriander Posts: 1,326
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Well, does he?

What did you make of his 'performance' today?

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Coriander wrote:
    Well, does he?

Who?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    The most repulsive individual I can think of. A liar and an ego without equal. He makes my flesh crawl.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Aguila wrote:
    The most repulsive individual I can think of. A liar and an ego without equal. He makes my flesh crawl.

Ah must be a politician
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    Thought he was really annoying in 'Give us a Clue' but haven't seen him in much lately
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I didn't see it because I was working.

But I would very much like to have the opportunity to D-lock the c*nt.

And I've been a labour voter ever since I moved to the mainland and coiuld vote in a "proper" election.
    Misguided Idealist
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I didn't see it because I was working.

But I would very much like to have the opportunity to D-lock the c*nt.

And I've been a labour voter ever since I moved to the mainland and coiuld vote in a "proper" election.

Oh.. it was epic.. he really is as close to Nixon as we can get for terms of ego.. We wanted Frost and we got Britton. :roll: The man should be indited for war crimes.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    No sympathy for Blair, but even less for the scores of MP's playing the "I was mislead into supporting the war" line. If you were thick enough to have been misled by what was even at the time little more than a tissue paper of evidence, then you are too thick to be an MP.
  • downfader
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    No sympathy for Blair, but even less for the scores of MP's playing the "I was mislead into supporting the war" line. If you were thick enough to have been misled by what was even at the time little more than a tissue paper of evidence, then you are too thick to be an MP.

Look at it this way too. The only ones who seemed to really stand up to Blair at the time were the Libdems.. How often does that sort of thing work out?? Then theres Vince Cable and how he predicted many major parts of the economic downturn/recession waaay off in the past.

Did they get lucky, or should we all be voting for those guys instead. :shock:
  • he's trying not to have his legacy, as Iraq. In that he's doomed mind you at least history will remember him, unlike Gordon.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    downfader wrote:

..... Libdems.. ...

Yes. They're now the nearest thingwe have to a party that actually has policies. The other two are virtually identical, opinion-poll-led get-power-at-any-cost voter popularity contests.

(cue the "a vote for them is wasted cos they won't win" barrage. Sometimes you have to vote according to your principles, having voted for the party that wins doesn't allow you to expense your duck house you know)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    downfader wrote:

..... Libdems.. ...

Yes. They're now the nearest thingwe have to a party that actually has policies. The other two are virtually identical, opinion-poll-led get-power-at-any-cost voter popularity contests.

(cue the "a vote for them is wasted cos they won't win" barrage. Sometimes you have to vote according to your principles, having voted for the party that wins doesn't allow you to expense your duck house you know)

All three local MP's where I live are Lib Dem. How weird is that. The gerrymandering of the borders might change that in the summer.
  • Coriander wrote:
    Well, does he?

Isn't it a Messiah complex: he thinks he's been sent to save us? God complex = he thinks he has the power to save us.

He is dreadful. A man who has used he highest office of state this country has to offer as a stepping stone on his career path.

What is terrifying is that there are hundreds like him. He was the one who was prepared to step forward in the line and take a chance on making it. The other 99s are still out there.

Cf Brown. He has a Revenue complex. He's been sent to tax us. The Brown years. A bit like shi!t.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Greg66 wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    Well, does he?

Isn't it a Messiah complex: he thinks he's been sent to save us? God complex = he thinks he has the power to save us.

He is dreadful. A man who has used he highest office of state this country has to offer as a stepping stone on his career path.

What is terrifying is that there are hundreds like him. He was the one who was prepared to step forward in the line and take a chance on making it. The other 99s are still out there.

Cf Brown. He has a Revenue complex. He's been sent to tax us. The Brown years. A bit like shi!t.
    Greg66, I sense that you could go one ad infinitum about top politicians and their flaws and transparrent personal motivations.

And you are right - the nature of politics is that it distils out precisely the sort of people who you would least want to give any responsibility to.

At least Blair (and Brown, for that matter) is intelligent. Other world leaders correctly assessed the fact that George "I'm mates with Lance Armstrong" Bush was a gun crazed nutter and refused to deal with him on this issue. Whereas I am not in agreement with the decisions which were made, I'm also not convinced that it was wrong to attempt to get close to said gun crazed moron in order to at least have some influence on the course of events. What would have happened if he hadn't? There would still have been a war and all the decisions at all levels would have been made by the US, which would have had a harder time engaging the other contributing UN nations in the aftermath.

So, the demonisation of the guy is justified only if you equally demonise the entirity of politics, which is naive, and also take a simplistic view of events.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Greg66 wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    Well, does he?

quote]

No, I dont think Tony thinks he's the Messiah - just John the Baptist
  • downfader
    Peter Brookes cartoon says it all today:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/cartoon/
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    The trouble with Blair is that he has been living in cloud cuckoo land so long that he believes his own spin - nasty combination politician and lawyer.

I can understand Bush getting himself into the Iraq situation - lets face it as far as the Americans were concerned its all about oil - but Blair can at least dress himself and spell 'potato' so he should have had the guts to stand up to the clown.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Problem is that the panel are toothless, they let him off the hook far too easily. Really need someone who can cross examine properly, Blair sailed through. Whole thing is a waste of time, no one will be held to account for Iraq or Afghanistan that matter. Why are politicians so blind when it comes to history?
  • downfader
    Problem is that the panel are toothless, they let him off the hook far too easily. Really need someone who can cross examine properly, Blair sailed through. Whole thing is a waste of time, no one will be held to account for Iraq or Afghanistan that matter. Why are politicians so blind when it comes to history?

Exactly why the main propergators of war here need to be indited. The British people cant/wont indite them, it needs an international intervention.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

+1.

Listening to Radio 5 this morning (a big step forward for me), they were interviewing family members and anti-war campaigners. It seemed to me that a problem they face is that they can't clearly articulate an objective. This makes it easy for the likes of Blair to run rings around them; Blair's biographer did so quite easily. One of the good points he raised was that Blair was unable to apologise for the fcuk up they made of Basrah.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    What...he chases cats, sniffs bitches butts and licks his own nuts???
    Oh! GOD complex...My bad.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    God complex?

Nah!

He thinks he is way above that :roll:
    Must really pee him off that people won't listen to his version of his "legacy".

Nothing will change. Nothing will be done :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638

Don't for a moment think I have any sympathy for Blair, but tlhe Chilcot Inquiry isn't trying to hold anyone to account, it is just trying to establish in detail how we ended up where we are. This sort of inquiry is (I think) designed to try and sort out what actually happened from what everyone thinks they know happened. People are maybe more likely to be candid with their testimony if they know they are not on trial. Whilst it might give some people some satisfaction to see Blair indited in some way, I just don't think even the international justice system (such as it is) let alone our own, is up to dealing with things of this scale. The example of the Balkan war crimes trials in the Hague show how difficult it is to even come up with coherent charges, never mind the getting bogged down in endless months of evidence. It sounds rather defeatist, but I think the Chilcot Inquiry is about the best we can hope for.

On a slightly different point, while Fern Britton might be slightly embarrassed to be compared with David Frost interviewing Nixon, the interview did seem to reveal what many had suspected: that the WMD argument was a convenient crutch. Surprising that he seemed to feel that this was all perfectly acceptable as well. "Well I just told them all what they needed to hear and any other Prime Minister would have done the same" seemed to be about the size of it. Maybe they would; perhaps John Major has all sorts of dark secrets.

Can't think of any way to relate all this to cycling though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    What's all the Blair hate for. I remember when people loved him. He was better than who we have now and better than the two Prime Ministers who came before him. There I said it.

Yes, OK he mislead the country into war with Iraq. Why the hell did we go to war anyway. They didn't have any weapons and it can't be for oil because I just paid close to £1.20 a litre, which is more than ever.

In fact lets flog him for that alone and the lives lost and the lying but while we flog our own, lets imprison Bush. He is the real war criminal who mislead the World went against the UN policy just upped and started two wars, which no side can truly win.

What? 2 pages about political discussion and no one is arguing.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game