knobbly on the sides?

rally200
rally200 Posts: 646
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I think my Marathon Pluses are finally on their way out - had a proper look at them after getting my first p***ture in 3 years commuting (Council Grit ) , tread separating & come to think of it feeling sort of wrong.

Now since recent experience in the snow, and the mud that followed as the alledged all-weather cycle track has fallen apart, I'm starting to think something like a Conti Travel Contact might fit the bill. Now I've learnt form bitter experience that this type of thing can be a bit dodgy cornering on tarmac - but is the knobbly side bit any use at all off-road? or would I be better off with a real CX tyre?

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Hi, I had travel contacts on a tandem. The knobbly bits on the side were fine when cornering in our experience (and a tandem really tests that)
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I've had travel contacts for about 5 years. Never had a problem cornering at speed. The compound is a bit softer than those p*ncture proof jobs (which feel a bit skittish to me).
  • rally200
    Kurako wrote:
    I've had travel contacts for about 5 years. Never had a problem cornering at speed. The compound is a bit softer than those p*ncture proof jobs (which feel a bit skittish to me).

yes - skittish, sort of squirelly - I'm convinced my rear 35mm Marathon+ squirms rather than slides - can the structure of a tyre break down so as to make that happen ?
  • Schwalbe Land Cruisers or Hurricanes may do the trick... I'm currently trying out one of each in 26" size.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rally200
    Schwalbe Land Cruisers or Hurricanes may do the trick... I'm currently trying out one of each in 26" size.

the land cruisers do look good, and well priced on CRC, now I'm starting to wonder if my rims are too narrow for the 35s I've been running - the rims only measure 21-22mm on the outside.
  • Its the internal rim diameter that is important, our old friend Sheldon has some guidelines...
    http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

35mm tyres on a 17-21mm internal rim are fine, according to him.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Currently on Speed Kings on the CX bike but they don't seem too strong - had a visit from the PF on my second ride
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    With TravelContacts the rolling surface is pretty thick. I've had some big gouges but nothing ever went through. The only thing that's caused me to need new ones before the end of their natural lifespan is shredding the side walls after hitting glass or other sharp crud.

The one time I put a reinforced tyre on ( and I forget which one ) I took it off after one day. It just never felt as good as the Conti's.