18 bikes - dont lynch me, but.......

nonickname
nonickname Posts: 16
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Im almost embarrassed to be posting this such is the respect 18 Bikes have on the web but my own experience just never seems to measure up to the hype

Firstly they genuinely seem to be decent lads
Whenever Im in the shop I always get made to feel as though nothings too much trouble

However its the nitty gritty that leaves me underwhelmed
Here are my own experiences:

1) Booked a demo 6 weeks in advance of date, booked necessary day off work also 6 weeks in advance, phone call afternoon before demo to say it was off as bike not available (this was waaay before the break in)

2) Had bike in for shock bushings. When collected noticed one bush not done up properly, and when decided to change other myself 18 months later realised its thread had been stripped - which maybe explains why the other had been done up too cautiously

3) Had wheel built up - was never really true and when taken elsewhere (pro road shop) for fixing comments made about who had made it

Have I just been unlucky?

Like I said they are nice lads but Im a bit wary of going back

And I usually post on STW, if Id have posted this on there Id definitely be lynched - although I wonder how many of the 'fans' on there have actually used them

Now wheres my flame proof jacket..........

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Never heard of them. But sometimes places do make mistakes.

Also never ride a bike you know is faulty.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    supersonic wrote:
    Never heard of them. But sometimes places do make mistakes.

Also never ride a bike you know is faulty.

good to hear i am not the only one not to have heard of them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Heard of them, never dealt with them.

Any problems should have been taken up with the shop at the time of finding them though, at least they might have had a chance to rectify the problem.

Demo bike thing is a PITA though, they seem to have had plenty of time to get the bike sorted for you
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Hey,

Sorry you've had (several) bad experiences.

Firstly, get in touch, complain/talk direct - with the demo, I can only think of the Helius AM, which had lost a bolt cap - having been ridden the week before. We'd received parts, but on fitting (the day before) - had found them to be incorrect. Either way - sorry, we let you down.

Regards workshop - we're very proud of what we do, would certainly NEVER let a bike go out knowingly with a problem. If we've done something wrong (we're only human) - then we'd set it straight - so that should be first point of call. Wheelbuilding ditto - although we'd check everything, I'm surprised something could go out without being correct. In some situations a wheel can unwind and go out of true on first few rides, but we destress to avoid this, while we build the wheel. Hope hoops (our other popular wheelsets) go through the same process. Again, get it back - we'd fix it.

Please email me, I'd like to talk this through and resolve. Our "fans" are just that, certainly in my experience!
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    an apology and an offer to assist ,
    thats a decent and professional way to deal with a complaint
    cant ask for more really.
  • What scares me is the post was made here, then a couple of hours later, the shop replies, so someone from STW has seen this, informed the shop and a reply was sent after opening up an account!!!!

Not a dig at all, but you know what I mean... shhhhhh they can here us ;)
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Just wondering if the OP had tried to contact 18 before?
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    What scares me is the post was made here, then a couple of hours later, the shop replies, so someone from STW has seen this, informed the shop and a reply was sent after opening up an account!!!!

Not a dig at all, but you know what I mean... shhhhhh they can here us ;)

welcome to surviellence UK
    big brother IS watching......
    :lol:
  • No- we just use google alerts to keep an eye on things, nothing more than that!! :D
  • No- we just use google alerts to keep an eye on things, nothing more than that!! :D

:lol:

The internet is a wonderful thing! :)
  • ianpinder
    ianpinder Posts: 266
    simon, what about the friday weigh in?
    Cycling the Tour D'Afrique in 2012

www.tda2012.com
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Interesting as I am about to send my Hope brakes there for servicing!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Rozza
    Rozza Posts: 75
    Always been great whenever I've had a question or purchased items from them. Check out the 18 Bikes/Endura jersey they do. Gotta be the smartest on the trail. Any chance of a similar design this year with merino Mr 18, mine's starting to to rift a little.
    Wolf Ridge, mmm bop, XTC Composite, Uncle John
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    is that the 18bikes in hope ??
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    turpinr wrote:
    is that the 18bikes in hope ??

Yup.
  • I changed from using my 'local' bike store which will remain nameless, (I live in Glossop!) because of $hite advice and blatant business bull$hit and went along to 18 bikes to get them to build up my new bike (Ragley Blue Pig). Never used them before, but have a really good reputation...have had said bike now for about a week or so, they were ridicuously helpfull and friendly, from explaining things to me (mechaincial knowledge is pretty minimal) through to part selection (without just trying to fob me off with stuff langusihing in the back of the store) would definitly reccomend!!
  • ianpinder - I'm back on it.

noizetek - ta for the kind words, how's the bike?

OP - you've yet to get in touch? I'd really like to see you straight.

Ta,
    Si