Zermatt, Switzerland

Stoo61
Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
edited January 2010 in The Crudcatcher
Has anyone been here? Im not asking in terms of mountainbiking. Just wondering if its really as good as it looks?

Is it as cheap and easy as it seems to get trains and gondolas up the mountains to the spectacular lakes peaks?

Any info or reviews would be great :D

Comments

• Have climbed and skiied there many times. Yes - it is fantastic. Yes it is easy to get around, but not particularly cheap. Well worth going.

Rick

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Some quality riding too.I haven't been but MBR did a feature on THESE GUYS a couple of years back.It's on my list of must do's 8)
  • Stoo61
    Have climbed and skiied there many times. Yes - it is fantastic. Yes it is easy to get around, but not particularly cheap. Well worth going.

Rick

I realise that staying and surviving there might be a little expensive but would you say the gondolas and trains are decent value? For instance the Jongfraubahn train is like over £100 while these seem around £25 to get up the mountains.
  • I think when you consider where you get too, and what you see, it's a bargain. The Jungfraujoch train is as you say particularly expensive. A while back I lived in Switzerland, and it was worth buying a rail card, coz you then got lots of stuff, including some mountain ascents half price. Depending how long you are there - it might be worth considering. I often had visitors for only a week or so who found it worth buying.

Rick

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    check out the link in my signature, my mate went last year and spent 4 months there doing tours, not sure if he's going back this year but it might be worth emailing him he spent everyday riding there :D
  • Stoo61
    Would only be there for 2 days as part of a larger european tour over two weeks. Cheers for the help.