Headset Cup OD/Headtube ID Question!

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm about to install my headset cups on a new frame. I've measured the cup OD, which is 34.11mm, and the headtube ID, which is an ave. of two readings and is 33.90mm. So I have a difference of 0.21mm.

The headtube hasn't been reamed, but I would imagine that I am safe to proceed? Do I apply a little grease to the cups before pressing?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Parktools list the sizes.

but yes it is an interference fit and i would not use any grease.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    edited January 2010
    I've come to assemble and just remembered that I haven't had the bb shell and headtube faced! :roll:

I understand the importance of facing, but would there be any issues with a steel frame with regards to corrosion? The guys at On-One suggested there might be!
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • nicklouse
    nope. as you will be using an anti seize on the bb shell threads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • So it would be for the best to have the frame faced - both headtube and bb shell?

I can't believe I forgot to have it done on this frame. I've had it done on the other frame, which I have now decided that I'm going to sell, but not on the frame that I'm going to use for the build!!! :shock:
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • nicklouse
    headtube yes and bb both faces if external bearings, drive side only if cartridge bb.