Avid Bolts

Chris5.5
Chris5.5 Posts: 154
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
HI,

Am Thinking of upgrading the front brakes on my bike to 203mm from 185mm.

I have seen the adaptor (post mount) and it has 4 bolts (2 go into the frame and 2 then hold the caliper on). Currently it is all held on with two bolts.

I am guessing the original bolts will be too long and I need to buy 4 new bolts.

Will these be the right length if I buy two packs?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30164

Thanks Chris

Comments

• mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Is your fork post mount or IS?

If it is post mount you will need this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13718

You can re-use both sets of bolts - the two that mount the adaptor to the fork, and the two that mount the caliper to the adaptor.
  • Chris5.5
    thanks but it is only held on with two bolts at the moment through the caliper and into the fork, the new adaptor would need 4 but shorter than I have now, I think
  • mrfmilo
    Are you sure you're running 185mm at the mo?

Usually 160mm is where you bolt the caliper straight onto the post mount, and anything above 160mm (185mm,203mm) is done with a mount adaptor...
  • mrfmilo
    Can you upload a pic of your current set up?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no you already have 2 bolts to use.

also they are just normal M6 bolts as sold by any hardware store so if you dont get them with the adaptor it aint hard to get more.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chris5.5
    There is an adaptor there at the moment but the bolt goes straight through the caliper, adaptor and into the post mount on the fork.

I thought these may be too long to reuse as the 203mm set up would be caliper bolt to adaptor and then seperate bolt from adaptor to postmount.

Will just get some from a hardware store if they are too long.

Thanks all
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    OK missed the 185 adaptor being the long bolt one as there are more than one type of 180(5) adaptor out there.

in that case yes your bolts will be too long. and yes the ones you linked to first will be fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chris5.5
    Thanks for your help, off to look for a rotor now.

Chris