Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    mkf wrote:
    clean the inside of the drinks hose of your camel back

Sterlise tablets, soak away, empty, done.
  • Real men just drink the bacteria.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Tesco sterilising tablets (49p for loads) and a long brush.

Also worth rinsing out as soon as you get home if you've had flavoured drinks in it.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    other alternative is add a bit of bicarbonate of soda to the camelbak brush for hose.
  • reevie25
    reevie25 Posts: 254
    Real men just drink the bacteria.

+1[/quote]
  • adun1408
    adun1408 Posts: 123
    ^tastes so much better :P
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    £10 i'd rather eat the bacteria. Must be a cheaper alternativealternative
  • On one bike ride, I took a big swig from my water bottle. It was one of those quick ah, the water hasn't been there that long, it'll be fine days. Water doesn't go off does it? It didn't taste too good anyway, so I opened it up and there was big chunks of mould floating around in there.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Old style wire coat hanger with kitchen towel on the end, push through to get rid of any build up of crap, then soak using sterilising tablets and rinse with cold water.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    You could also use Milton Fluid - used for babies
    Cycling weakly
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Keep your camelbak in the freezer after every ride (empty obviously). Done this with my 2nd bladder and its lasted way longer, with no ming!
  • bigboned
    bigboned Posts: 151
    mmmmmm ming!
    For the muddy - Boardman comp frame ( to match the roadie) running saint/ fox
    For the blacktop - Boardman Pro Carbon

'Currently listening to Motley Crue's Girls Girls Girls'
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Schmako wrote:
    Keep your camelbak in the freezer after every ride (empty obviously). Done this with my 2nd bladder and its lasted way longer, with no ming!

+1 A good rinse as soon as you get home and straight in the freezer.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • I'm always surprised by the number of minging camelbak threads.

I've got 2 bladders of various sizes and I've never had any problems.

If I get back from a ride and there's significant drink left, I put the bladder in the bottom of the fridge and just leave it there. Sometimes, one has been in there for a few weeks and has always been fine. When I need it again, I top up what's already in there and away I go.

If the bladders empty, I only ever clean it with very hot water. I fill it up, let a bit flow through the tube by holding the valve open and raising the bladder. I then leave it on the draining board (still full) over night and empty it the day after, making sure the tube is empty and turn it inside out the best I can.

If I know it's going to be empty for a while, I spin the tube round in a fast circle to force any droplets to the end.

One thing I always do though which may help, is never have any air in the bladder, just fluid.

Before I put the full bladder in my ruck sack, I suck through the tube with the outlet on the bladder at the highest point, this makes me suck a load of bubbles and air but no liquid. An added bonus is the fluid doesn't slosh a bout whilst I'm riding.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I put the bladder in the bottom of the fridge and just leave it there. Sometimes, one has been in there for a few weeks and has always been fine.

One thing I always do though which may help, is never have any air in the bladder, just fluid.

Before I put the full bladder in my ruck sack, I suck through the tube with the outlet on the bladder at the highest point, this makes me suck a load of bubbles and air but no liquid. An added bonus is the fluid doesn't slosh a bout whilst I'm riding.

Yep I do all that as well and never had any problems. I occaisionally use Milton to sterilise them, usually after having an energy drink in them. There's 3 bladders in my beer fridge at the moment.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    I rinse mine out and hang it up in the garage. Its just as cold the freezer in there anyways
    2014 Whyte T-129S