GT85, WD40 And Bike Spray For Water Dispersing

jedi_master
jedi_master Posts: 888
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
My WD40 ran out so I was going to buy another can but it got me thinking is either GT85 or Muc Offs bike spray better as a water repellent then WD. What do you guys think? only after one for water displacement nothing more.

I know it's not wise to get WD40 on discs which I don't, well I don't actually have discs but if I did I wouldn't but I can get a trade size can that's 600ml for £4.99.

Oh are any worse a damaging seals than others.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Apart from cables when cleaning, and the chain (when off the bike) I see no real use for these sprays on a bike.
  • I got some GT85 from Halfords a month back for £2. First time ive used it today, so can't really comment. I have used the TF2 made by Weldtite. I got that from Wilkos for £2.50 rrp about £5. That served me really well, and lasted ages. Personally i wouldn't go for the MucOff stuff as i think you'd be paying for the name.
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • supersonic wrote:
    Apart from cables when cleaning, and the chain (when off the bike) I see no real use for these sprays on a bike.

I can, to polish and protect your frame (thats the only thing I use mine for) and to ease stubborn grips on/off ;)

I do use it after washing any part that shouldnt have any water in it (i.e., chain) also

NEVER as a lube
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • supersonic wrote:
    Spit and polish lad!

lol

I only use WD on the chain and cassette after washing, then spin the cranks quickly backwards and the water flys off. The wipe off clean with a rag and lube.

Was just curious if one was better than the other as a water displacer.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I use GT85 to get water out of my chain and SPD pedals after cleaning. Just be careful where you spray it. Haven't had a rusty chain in ages following that regime. Often relube the chain later.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yeah, quick spray on the worky bits after a wash, and a bit on the frame to stop the mud sticking. WD40, TF2, GT85, whichever, could not personally care less, it's all just stoddart solvent and light oil and a few other bits and bobs.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I find GT85 great when I come in from a night ride and I'm just too cold/wet to wash the bike - just give all the oily bits a quick spray and nothing rusts before I wash it next day! GT85 smellls much better than WD40!
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    GT85 on pedals, getting water off the chain, cleaning exposed cable inners (amazing how much muck comes off them), squirt into the end of the cable outers, derailleur pivot points, brake pivot points, STI innards to remove water and keep them changing sweetly, removing tar spots and other stubborn stains...sure there must be more uses.

Guess I must be addicted :D

Tried WD40 and TF2 but prefer GT85...not sure why, may just be down to price :)
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    [quote=but prefer GT85...not sure why, may just be down to price :)[/quote]

It's the smell lad :D
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • i use silicone spray on my frame and wheels careful not to get it on my brakes it shines my bike up like new and its cheap