Is my bite valve broken or am I doing it wrong?

projectsome
projectsome Posts: 4,478
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Ok, i bought one of those tesco hyradtion rucksacks today, filled it with water upto max (1.5L) but for the love of shiny things no matter how hard I sucked I couldn't get any water.

:oops: I know you're supposed to bite on it to get the hole open but this was working to no avail. I took the bite valve off to see if it was something else and it worked fine without it.
FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!

Comments

• asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    I don't know what the valve in question is like, but does it have a "lock" mechanism on it? My camelbak bite valve has a little tab you can twist to stop water coming out.
  • Try squeezing the bite valve with your fingers and you should see a hole open up...
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Some of them also require you to tug them to unlock them and then bite the valve.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    if it looks like this
    64014000.jpg
    you might have to cut the vertical slit open, it's probably shaped, but not quite cut all the way through.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Mr bump
    Mr bump Posts: 369
    this may sound silly but the pipe isnt bent over inside the rucksack is it?
    I had it happen on my camelbak once when i put the bladder in.
    Might be worth a look. :D
    Eagles may fly high but Weasels dont get sucked into jet engines.

http://is.pinkbike.com/photo/4466/pbpic4466217.jpg
  • projectsome
    I just made the slit bigger. That seemed to work
  • I just made the slit bigger. That seemed to work

Success! But beware as it may leak, I know a few fellow riders who use the Tesco branded hydration bladders and a vast majority of them tend to drip at the bite valve. This is usually cured by investing in a Camelback bite valve... just some useless advice..
  • projectsome
    I just made the slit bigger. That seemed to work

Success! But beware as it may leak, I know a few fellow riders who use the Tesco branded hydration bladders and a vast majority of them tend to drip at the bite valve. This is usually cured by investing in a Camelback bite valve... just some useless advice..

I will check my local lbs