XG999

Chunkers1980
Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Light: yes Pretty: yes: Expensive: yes Slick Shifting: Most prob Hard Wearing: so they say

But what's the point of a replacable large ring.

I have never had slipping problems above 16 teeth even when I may have left my chain too long before changing it.

So, why bother with a replacable part that will er most prob never need to be changed.

Why don't Shimano and SRAM just sell replacment 11, 12 and 13 tooth cogs??

Money I suspect.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    easier to change your climbing gear.

if you look at most 34-11 and 32-11 cassettes the only difference is the 34/32 the rest is the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Yeah good point Nick, suppose it's easier for them and us just to sell and create 1 block and be able to change what's essentially only ever the difference between 2 cassettes, the largest cog.

Still, I'd rather they sold new small cogs 1, 2 and 3.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    But what's the point of a replacable large ring.t.

IIRC the big ring is alloy so it'll wear faster.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Chunkers1980
    Northwind wrote:
    But what's the point of a replacable large ring.t.

IIRC the big ring is alloy so it'll wear faster.

Yes it is alloy, so will wear quicker, my point is that the bigger the ring the less chance of it slipping. Who's ever worn out one of the 2 bigger rings before the smaller ones wear out...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Alloy wears a lot quicker than steel, so is a good idea. Saves weight too.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yes it is alloy, so will wear quicker, my point is that the bigger the ring the less chance of it slipping. Who's ever worn out one of the 2 bigger rings before the smaller ones wear out...

I understand your point, it just makes no sense because at the moment we mainly have all steel cassettes.
    Uncompromising extremist