Winter Olympics

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,217
edited February 2010 in The bottom bracket
2 weeks until they start, in general I find them more enjoyable than the summer games probably due to the speed / danger involved in a lot of the disciplines. Anyone else looking forward to them? Could be a few medals for GB with some of the top ranked skeleton and bob crews in both mens and womens races plus hopefully we'll be seeing lots of Lyndsey Vonn on our screens if she can keep up her current form :D

lindsey-vonn-11432013-MBHF-1233690206,templateId%3DrenderScaled,property%3DBild,height%3D349.jpg

Comments

• Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    can't wait for the skeleton bob......I would love to have a go at that!
  • Pross
    Me too, used to fancy the luge but the skeleton has taken over for me. Must be a real thrill going that speed head first :shock:

Also like the look of the ski cross which is in this time.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I've really got into Biathlon in the past couple of years.............I reckon it's easily one of the best spectator sports going as the lead can change so quickly due to missed shots etc which often gives unpredictable outcomes and close finishes.

Have even been watching it while on the turbo as the sight of the guys and gals crossing the line absolutely spent spurs me to dig a little deeper. 8)

Not sure what's included in the Olympic schedule but the relay pursuit races are the most exciting........the individual and sprint events are time trials so no head-to-head racing.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Biathlon has a similar problem with drugs too!

Drugs to make you ski faster - drugs to keep your hands steady! :wink:
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i am alos looking forward to the winter olympics.

go Chemmy!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I used to live out in Vancouver/Whistler. Lots of friends still out there. Looking forward to seeing some 'local' spots on the TV!
  • I have done a Bobsleigh run ay Lake Placid
    Bloody Scary :shock:

I would need to loose some more weight to do the skeleton bob, those suits are proper tight!
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    love the winter olympics

chemy or vonn I dont care - they both hoooooooooooot
  • Pross
    Seems to be quite a few hot female skiers these days. :D
  • seemunkee
    seemunkee Posts: 206
    Really looking forward to the games starting.
    I strapped on the long blades this winter after several years off to have something to do other than ride a trainer. Looking forward to both short and long track speed skating. Local boy Simon Cho made the team for short track.
    Also love biathlon, jumping, and CURLING!!
  • Can't stand the BBC's "Team GB" slant on Olympic coverage. In the winter games especially it means some genuinely exciting races get minimal coverage because we haven't even got a second-rate participant. It's just dumbing down to Germanic levels.

Thankfully we will now have the option now watch what we like on the internet and cut out any nationalistic filtering:

http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/olympics/

Schedules: http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/olympics/epg/index.html (select "show all" in the date menu)

Eurosport is still good for Mike and Patrick's XC & biathlon commentaries though.
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    biathlon is quite watchable but its a very odd sport - so european
  • That must be why the Brits are crap at it then. :D

I think part of the reason it seems foreign is that we don't have the same hunting with guns culture that the Scandinavians and Russians have.

Another factor is the draconian gun-restiction laws that make it hard for people to practice shooting sports in the UK. Apparently it took Mike Dixon ages to set up his centre in Aviemore because of this.

And possibly another is that the military tend to regard certain winter olympic sports as their private club and aren't interested in developing it at a grassroots level that would attract genuine talent (to be fair it's not their job).
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Or maybe, just maybe, it's the complete lack of snow?
  • Doh!! :D

That's too easy for us conspiracy theorists.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Doh!! :D

And when it does snow, us Brits prefer to run around like headless chickens panic-buying bread and petrol than do biathlon :wink:
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited January 2010
    That's an idea! Perhaps there could be a special British biathlon event, where instead of rows of targets to shoot there are instead aisles with limited stocks of bread, milk, toilet rolls etc. with people skidding about a circuit in spikeless tyre cars.

We'd be sure to win!
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I quite enjoy watching the Biathlons and Cross Country skiing.
  • seemunkee
    seemunkee Posts: 206
    That must be why the Brits are crap at it then. :D

I think part of the reason it seems foreign is that we don't have the same hunting with guns culture that the Scandinavians and Russians have.

So why hasn't the US ever won a medal?
  • Pross
    That's an idea! Perhaps there could be a special British biathlon event, where instead of rows of targets to shoot there are instead aisles with limited stocks of bread, milk, toilet rolls etc. with people skidding about a circuit in spikeless tyre cars.

We'd be sure to win!

How about a car race up the ski slope with no snow tyres or chains, when you get stuck your teams "neighbours" have to come out and try to push you up the slope without having a heart attack or falling flat on their face :D

Maybe there should be a winter 'It's a Knockout' :lol: