Trek 1.2

mattrsa
mattrsa Posts: 143
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Someone has offered me a next to new trek 1.2 and I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on this bike and using it for commuting

My commute is 19 miles each way which I would normall do about twice a week

Any thought or info would be great
Commuter - Trek 1.2
Fun - Specialized Rockhopper

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I would say it's fine, as would be most road bikes, especially for that kind of mileage. More important is whether it is the correct size for you.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    kelsen wrote:
    I would say it's fine, as would be most road bikes, especially for that kind of mileage. More important is whether it is the correct size for you.

This.

My commuting partner, who I do 34 miles a day with has this, does the job, you just need to change the tyres over straight away to avoid the puncture fairy..
  • mattrsa
    yes forgot to mention I think it is the right size

62cm which I believe is the biggest they do and I am 6.2 so sound about right?

Well I am mighty tempted as i need the motivation to commute more often and spending £500 on a bike means £500 less for petrol and parking at work

Must speak to her indoors and see what she reckons
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • and107
    and107 Posts: 55
    I had one of these which got me started on the bike addiction the 2009 model great value bike for the money a really good buy tyres were okay i was never visited by the puncture fairy lol
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    mattrsa wrote:

Well I am mighty tempted as i need the motivation to commute more often and spending £500 on a bike means £500 less for petrol and parking at work

Good stuff, is it a 2010?

Just be prepared, if you don't already to budget for clothes, gloves etc for the coming months!
    and107 wrote:
    I had one of these which got me started on the bike addiction the 2009 model great value bike for the money a really good buy tyres were okay i was never visited by the puncture fairy lol

No fair, we had to stop probably every hundred miles, over twice a week for the damn fairy!
  • mattrsa
    thanks for the info guys,

yes 2010 model, apprently He has hurt himself and so can't ride any more, come will spd pedal as well as tri bars which he says were £130 new, Don't want them so will porb just remove them

I'm already pretty much set for winter biking gear and then when the summer comes I will buy some more jerseys

Not sure if he has allready changed the tyres, says it comes with all weather tyre, whatever that mean

How much does a decent set of road tyres set you back?
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    mattrsa wrote:
    thanks for the info guys,

yes 2010 model, apprently He has hurt himself and so can't ride any more, come will spd pedal as well as tri bars which he says were £130 new, Don't want them so will porb just remove them

I'm already pretty much set for winter biking gear and then when the summer comes I will buy some more jerseys

Not sure if he has allready changed the tyres, says it comes with all weather tyre, whatever that mean

How much does a decent set of road tyres set you back?

A set of tyres are anything from £20 upwards. I spent £60 on a pair of GP 4 Seasons. I say stick with the ones already on the bike unless there's something seriously wrong with them, and budget for tyres later. Flog the tri-bars and you've got a decent bike for less than £500. Ask for the original receipt. If his story is sound he should have it, and it means you also have the manufacturer warranty for reassurance.
  • see my signature 8)

great bike if its as good as its predecessor
  • kelsen wrote:
    Ask for the original receipt. If his story is sound he should have it, and it means you also have the manufacturer warranty for reassurance.
    Not on Trek Bikes. Frame warranty doesn't transfer to the new owner. :(

At least that's the case with mine. Lifetime warranty for original owner. None once sold on.

Mike
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    My winter/turbo bike is a Trek 1.2 and I've had no problems with it. I changed the saddle and stuck a compact on but other than that it's as it was when I bought it. Entry level road bike that does a good job and I'd have no hesitations in recommending it. Good weather bike is a Carbon.

One of these - http://www.roadcycler.com/wp-content/up ... rek-12.jpg
  • mudcovered wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    Ask for the original receipt. If his story is sound he should have it, and it means you also have the manufacturer warranty for reassurance.
    Not on Trek Bikes. Frame warranty doesn't transfer to the new owner. :(

At least that's the case with mine. Lifetime warranty for original owner. None once sold on.

Mike

Trek's warrenty yes I'm sure. But since "fit for purpose" would cover you how many owners etc.
  • mattrsa
    going to try get in touch with the guy tonight and get more info on the bike and why he is selling and maybe some pic.

the bike is back in wales and i'm in liverpool so might pop back to my moms for the w end to have a look
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Its a fantastic bike - handles really well when carrying a load - my g/f does loaded camping tours on hers.
  • mattrsa wrote:

I reckon you're borderline 62/60cm.

can you test ride both sizes perchance?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Yeah, 62cm may be a touch big for you, but you can make other adjustment to deal with that, such as flipping the stem, rotating the bars, and moving the saddle.

The bike will be a solid and dependable ride - my old bike is the one in barry_kellett's signature and I was very happy with it, though the 58cm model was probably fractionally too big for me (I'm 6').
  • Ya similarly I use an '08 1.5 to ride in bad weather.

It's like riding an armchair made of concrete.

I have the 62cm model and it's too big for me and I'm 6' 3+
  • mattrsa
    so we thinking it would be too big.

that's rubbish as this seems like a really good deal. Suppose I could go to another bike shop and try a 60cm compare to a 62cm

I'm not really sure how 2cm difference would make much of a difference but saying that I have never really hidden a modern road bike.
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • Find out what the stem length on it is - if it's 110mm as I suspect it would be you could get your 2cm back by switching it for a 90mm one. Not perfect, but hey.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    if it's 110mm as I suspect it would be you could get your 2cm back by switching it for a 90mm one
    "My GOD, Holmes, how did you know?"

"I did the calculation several times, Waston, and every time the difference was 2cm".

"Astounding, man, we shall have to call Lestrade."
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    "I did the calculation several times, Waston, and every time the difference was 2cm".

Nothing brings more joy to the world than a typo/spelling mistake in a sarcastic comment.

Nothing
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mattrsa
    well seen some pics of the bike today and it does look nice.

Will have to go and either sit on it and see how it feels for size or visit the local bike shop and see if I can test ride another 62cm trek

I find it strange that 2cm is going to make alot of difference but then again I don't know much about bikes
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    ive got the 2009 model and I love it. Great bike, good components and definitely worth the outlay if its the right size. im 6 foot and got the 56cm so that one may be little too big for you but best go try it