Exotic carbon frame

Comments

• mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    How much does your Zaskar weigh?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Nice. Should I buy one to match my seatpost?!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Zaskar frame is about 1400g for the medium with headset cups.
  • That's really nice, I love the headtube design, very different.

If that was a Spesh or other it would be £1300+

Great stuff - a good foot into the world of carbon.

You could build a very light bike out of mainly exotic parts, quite cheaply!
  • ashfanman
    ashfanman Posts: 186
    supersonic wrote:

That it does, but whereas I'd happily take a punt on one of their carbon seatposts or bars, at the best part of £650 the frame isn't exactly something I'd rush into buying.

Don't get me wrong - it's still good value for something that light, but it's not supercheap like the rest of their components. I'd personally want to see some reviews and wait until more is known about its durability.

Do you know if there are any plans on a test in MBUK?
  • supersonic
    They should pay me lol.

Yeah, is a very unusual design - I like the big chunky seat stays that morph into the top tube. The zaskar should be more like that!

You seen the wheels as well?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Nice! I wonder if they'll ever have them in stock? Got fed up of waiting for the scandium bars in the end lol.

Seat post is lovely though, just want to make sure it wont die on me, could be painfull!
  • supersonic
    ashfanman wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

That it does, but whereas I'd happily take a punt on one of their carbon seatposts or bars, at the best part of £650 the frame isn't exactly something I'd rush into buying.

Don't get me wrong - it's still good value for something that light, but it's not supercheap like the rest of their components. I'd personally want to see some reviews and wait until more is known about its durability.

Do you know if there are any plans on a test in MBUK?

I've only just seen it tbh. I suppose it isn't as cheap as other parts respectively, but still cheap for a carbon frame and a lot less than some of the big players.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    supersonic wrote:
    They should pay me lol.

Yeah, is a very unusual design - I like the big chunky seat stays that morph into the top tube. The zaskar should be more like that!

You seen the wheels as well?

i recognise them wheels.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    Nice cantelever mounts on the rear stays. Surely that cant be right!
  • supersonic
    Good! People do still run Vs lol.
  • bails87
    Go on super, spec up an Exotic build, how much and how heavy? :P
    MTB/CX

• supersonic
    Cheap and not much lol.
  • bails87
    Short and sweet I guess!
    MTB/CX

• ashfanman
    supersonic wrote:
    I've only just seen it tbh. I suppose it isn't as cheap as other parts respectively, but still cheap for a carbon frame and a lot less than some of the big players.

I'm not saying it's not good value - as you said, if it was by any other manufacturer then it would be twice the price. I'm just saying that whereas I would potentially just take a punt on a £30 seatpost, I'd want to know a bit more about something before spending £650 quid on it!

If they're doing frames and wheels, surely it's not long before they do a full bike. Drivetrain and forks aside, they've got almost all of the components they need. You'd probably end up with a race-weight hardtail for about £1300!
  • Frame looks good value but I'm more interested in when they're getting some stems and bars back in stock- awesome value kit
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    It would look even better without the v mounts on the back. be interested to see how this does in a test, how is it price wise compared to the new on-one one?
  • ashfanman
    Paul 8v wrote:
    It would look even better without the v mounts on the back. be interested to see how this does in a test, how is it price wise compared to the new on-one one?

A bit more - the On-One is £499. However, that's a much burlier frame and as such will probably be much heavier. Doesn't look as nice either...
  • supersonic
    Target weight is 3.5lbs for the onone, so I'd say about 4lbs ;-)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    On One are making a "whippet" XC bike as well though as well as the 456, that'd be a better comparison with this one I reckon.

I've been impressed by my Exotic forks, but then they're just tubes really. I wonder if Nuke Proof will release this with their stickers on at twice the price just like they do with the forks? :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    That's one nice frame.
  • I bought exotic carbon forks for my commuter. They're good and so far I've not read a bad work about exotic's products.
    I guess the frame should be good at the price point. No mention of its weight though.
    Although I am one of those who still uses (Magura HS33) rim brakes (on my commuter) I am not too keen on the rim brake bosses on the exotic CF frame, I'd certainly opt for a disk only configuration.
    I'll be keeping an eye on this product, it may just be a cost effective route to my first carbon bike.
  • Can you be a normal mans weight to ride it though? or do you have to be a 5ft skinny xc type that weight 10st? hehe!

I can't really use any of the exotic stuff!!
  • supersonic
    I doubt you'd break the stems and scandium risers! But generally it is XC stuff.
  • bails87
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Can you be a normal mans weight to ride it though? or do you have to be a 5ft skinny xc type that weight 10st? hehe!

I'm 6ft and 10st(almost). I'd say 5ft and 10st was positively rotund! :wink:
    MTB/CX

• bails87 wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Can you be a normal mans weight to ride it though? or do you have to be a 5ft skinny xc type that weight 10st? hehe!

I'm 6ft and 10st(almost). I'd say 5ft and 10st was positively rotund! :wink:

6ft and 10 st!!Can we borrow you when we need to plant our peas......? :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Hello i know the people who make the frames (in Taiwan, and having poked around it at trade shows, it is a good frame, well finished inside. They also make the seatposts and forks for them, (and us, nukeproof, white bros etc) they are just standard catalogue parts form a reputible manufacturer.

I thought about bringing them in, but decided the angles and geometry were not to my taste.

At that price ill leave it to them, wonder what warranty backup you get with it?

Neil (superstar components)
  • the actual price on the website is £447 and apparently is in stock ready to be ordered...
    can anyone tell me if the headset size is 11/8 or 1 inch??
    it states that it is a medium 19" ( i thought that this would come under a large) ???
    does anyone know if there bring out a smaller size??
    it also says that the seatpost size is 34.9 ??? with a seatpost clamp size of 38.6,can that be right ???
    seing that they do seatposts (i own a cobra seatpost) in 27.2 and 31.6 i would of thought they would make the frame to suit one of these???
    i own the cobra seatpost, forks, riser bars, stem and rims and would love the frame also just seems a little confusing?? ( i am a total noob mind you)
    can anyone help me on some further info please??
  • supersonic
    Ah, it has been reduced!

Headset will be 1 1/8th.

Forget whether is medium or large - all the geo is there (apart from head angle)

The seatpost clamp is unusually large (1.5 inches) - one t ask them about.