Chris Evans

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
...dedicated today's show to all cyclists braving the rain. That was good of him, and nice to have some positive recognition without the usual hail of anti-cycling hatred that usually follows. :)

I was just getting the bike out of the garage at the time; very prescient of him to do it today.

Comments

• Quite a few fellow radio 1 listeners have switched to him in the morning because the music's better. Is he annoying?
  • tgardi
    tgardi Posts: 32
    I actually quoite like him - is that so bad?

The music is better.

I think that he gets a lot of bad press from ppl that are just junping on the band wagon rather than actually listening to him and giving him a chance.
  • CiB
    He's good; tried a bit too hard in the first week or so but is settling in nicely. He's not Wogan - that was the big jolt. I like him though; his music is listenable, he's not Moyles so the lack of shouting is a bonus, and I have noticed in the car that R2 tends to be on more than R4 these days. Oooeerrr...
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    He is alright – a bit too forced at times but not bad. Music has improved too but I really don’t like Bruce Springsteen or Queen which he seems to adore.

Wogan was overrated IMHO. Moyles is for the chavs.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • CiB wrote:
    He's good; tried a bit too hard in the first week or so but is settling in nicely. He's not Wogan - that was the big jolt. I like him though; his music is listenable, he's not Moyles so the lack of shouting is a bonus, and I have noticed in the car that R2 tends to be on more than R4 these days. Oooeerrr...

moyles I have always found talked too much and about things that I had zero intrest in.

mind you sarah kennedy could give him a run for a money on talking on and on.

used to have R2 on early when i was a postie hearing wogan was a sign that it was a really bad day...
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Anyone know what 6 music's like on a morning? Keep thinking I should get meself a bedside DAB radio, but haven't got round to it yet.
  • I like Moyles, unless he's banging on about football, and I don't think I'm a chav... I just don't like the music.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Anyone know what 6 music's like on a morning? Keep thinking I should get meself a bedside DAB radio, but haven't got round to it yet.

+1.

I'm a Radio 2 man at heart, though. I haven't listened to R1 since c. 1992. I think that's when a large part of my musical taste gene became frozen in time.

Evans is good. Liked his Drivetime show, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    Moyles is loud even by the normal standard of someone coming from Leeds. Sarah Kennedy is just painful - when she tries to read out the newspaper headlines of the day. I thought I would give her the benefit of the doubt, for a bit this week. She read out the time wrong - on 2 occasions. Thought I had slept in when she said the time.

Sorry, back to the topic. Chris Evans is a bit too gimmicky for me at times, but his show is good. Even better that Simon Mayo does Drivetime though. Class act!
  • mickbrown
    mickbrown Posts: 100
    I'd rather eat my feet than listen to either Moyles or Evans.

Radio 4 or 5 for me. I have turned into my dad. It's official.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I like Moyles, unless he's banging on about football, and I don't think I'm a chav... I just don't like the music.

It's probably because he is so loud and the music so bland :oops: or may be is just me and i am getting older double fast.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • CiB
    1992 was my cut-off, following a 'lifestyle upheaval' - split up with o/h, made redundant and got a new job + totally different career in a different part of the country all in the space of a week. From being in an environment with R1 on all day every day back then, I haven't listened to R1 since, give or take the odd 5 minutes just to check. Pop music is 1970-92. Who needs anything more? Albums & CDs though - different matter.
  • cjcp
    mickbrown wrote:
    Radio 4 or 5 for me. I have turned into my dad. It's official.

But, but, that Nicky Campbell bloke! :o

I should listen to Radio 4.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I like Moyles, unless he's banging on about football, and I don't think I'm a chav... I just don't like the music.

It's probably because he is so loud and the music so bland :oops: or may be is just me and i am getting older double fast.

You're not. You're perfectly sane. His show is unlistenable.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Wamas
    Wamas Posts: 256
    I stopped listening to Chris Moyles show, not because of Chris Moyles, but because of his dull side kick Dave. I just found him very irritating and patronising, and couldn't make myself listen anymore. He tried too hard to appear intelligent (not a hard thing to do next to Chris Moyles I admit), when in actual fact, he was pretty thick himself.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    What are these Radios 1-3 of which you speak ?
    Do they play music on the wireless nowadays ?

All my radios are tuned permanently into Radio4. Unless the Archers comes on.

(I clearly turned into my Dad several years ago :oops: )
    Misguided Idealist
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Radio 5 in the morning for me, except when I'm in the shower / getting a shave when I go for XFM. Worst thing about driving up the M1 is when you pass Luton and there's no more decent music radio until you get back again - how does the rest of the country cope?*

*DAB helps, obviously - quite like NME radio and I may give Radio 2 a listen at some point but its always sounds of the sixties when I try it, regardless of their modernisation plan.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    _Brun_ wrote:

I am warming to Sean Keavney although I still miss Phill Jupitus, his show was all about the music and there was absolutely no shouting.
    Compared to Evans and Moyles it's no contest for me, mainly on the quality of the music but also Keavney is the least annoying of the three.

Once I'm in the car in the mornings it's R4 especially on the way home. News Quiz/The Now Show/I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue - all brilliant.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • _Brun_ wrote:

Pure Tempus XT beside my bed. Alice Cooper does the breakfast show on Planet Rock and is really very entertaining.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Is actually think Evans is a big improvement on Wogan

There is also the excellent Simon Mayo in the Radio Drive time slot, and Radio 5 now.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I listen to planet rock on the mornings for about 5 mins then I'm out the door

about 2 seconds if I hear genesis playing
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I don't listen to the radio at all, far rather listen to my iPod quite frankly. Moyles is a fat, unfunny to$$er, have never understood why people like him.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Moyles is a fat, unfunny to$$er, have never understood why people like him.

Absolutely! Never has a man had more of a face for the radio, his increasingly desperate attempts to forge a TV career always make me laugh.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    MatHammond wrote:

Absolutely! Never has a man had more of a face for the radio, his increasingly desperate attempts to forge a TV career always make me laugh.

Not as much as his literary career... Stewart Lee on Chris Moyles is worth watching if you can find it.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    On a business and personal level, my experience of him means I would rather eat my bib tights liner than listen to him! Despicable person!
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    alfablue wrote:
    On a business and personal level, my experience of him means I would rather eat my bib tights liner than listen to him! Despicable person!

Do you mean Evans or Moyles?

And whichever it is, come on, play fair, dish the dirt...
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Coriander wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

Do you mean Evans or Moyles?

And whichever it is, come on, play fair, dish the dirt...
    Evans, I really want to dish the dirt, but he can afford better lawyers than I can :cry:
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    His drivetime show at 5pm made staying late at work so much more bearable. I'm not alive early enough for breakfast shows.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    MatHammond wrote:

Not as much as his literary career... Stewart Lee on Chris Moyles is worth watching if you can find it.

yeah that was pretty damned funny Comedy Vehicle was the name of the show wasn't it?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    +++ BREAKING NEWS - Evans fired as presenter of Radio 2 breakfast show, to be replaced by Halfords +++

Am I the only person who wakes up to Radio 3 and the soothing loveliness of Sara Mohr-Pietsch?