Professional mtb frame fitter?

bonesetter
bonesetter Posts: 39
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Anyone know of any?

I know there's lots for roadies, but how about MTB's?

Thanks

Comments

• Not really neeeeed for Mtb as you position isn't fixed around a trail.
  • Fair comment.

To be more clear, I'm considering a custom steel 29er frame to fit my odball shaped body, and need a sizing idea to give to my builder
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    talk to your road bike fitter.

Or are you looking for a frame builder to do a frame for you?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I've found my frame builder, but I need a size to give him.

Off the peg frames just will not fit a very out of proportion torso to to leg length body, as a result I don't know what sizing I need
  • Would the bikefit system help, or this is for road bike fitting only?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no idea very few MTB people worry about getting measured as you are not static on the bike.
    the only ones that may are out an out racers who are, maybe, having frames made to fit.

your best bet is to either talk to the frame builder or the retailer if a ready made frame.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Long legs or long body?
  • Long body

34.5" (Rider's) inseam, 6'2.5" overall height

I think this custom frame should be aiming for a M/L sized seat tube, say 18" max, which should give the generally recommended ~4" TT clearance, but with a longer ETT than the M/L size would give...

I'm struggling with what reach to go with and so what length TT

I like a fairly upright riding position with very short stem and wide riser bars on my current bike (which is too small), and gives endo feeling due to not enough bike in front of me, arms too vertical, and therefore nothing to brace my mass from moving forward

This planned custom build is going to be a steel long travel 29" trail bike

Any help appreciated, thanks
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Consider the frame angles too.

I'd test some bikes, find one you like and copy the geometry.
  • I want a steel version of this Banshee Paradox, which fits me

All the same frame angles

4032475314_15a369fe63_o.jpg
  • supersonic
    I'd contact them for a full spec list, and simply use that.
  • SS, respectfully, I think you have missed my dilemma. My current bike, the Paradox does not fit me.

My odball proportions demand a custom sized frame, the proportions of which I am asking here...
  • supersonic
    You just said it fits you!
    I want a steel version of this Banshee Paradox, which fits me

Lol

See if you can find a Zaskar in a large size. Long top tubes, but the standover of a smaller bike. My medium has a 595mm ETT.
  • Hehe.... meaning it doesn't fit... hehe. sorry.

Zaskar's geo isn't really what I'm after.

I'm a fan of sub 17" CS's and slack HA, steel & 29er
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Titus do custom frames. You couls try thier site se if there's anything there of any use to you.
  • supersonic
    When sat it will give you an idea of relationship between ETT and seat angle, which I think is very important. You can have two identical ETTs, but if one has a 73 degree SA, and the other a 70, the difference is pronounced. Can also offset the effect of chainstay length to an effect too.

Is a tricky business! Alter one thing, you often change another.

Maybe try an OnOne 456 if you can? They have long ETTs, 16/75 CS, slackish HA (especially the summer season) and steepish SA, getting your weight further forward to work the fork.
  • Sonic, I apreciate your efforts, but...

it's a twenty niner, 29er LT custom frame I'm after sizing advice for.

I've decided on my American frame builder, just trying to work out the sizing, specifically the reach I require
  • supersonic
    Ah, but you don't know what you require until you have tried some stuff out! A fitting may be useful, but they tend to be road bike oriented - and road bikes are very one dimensional. He may get you in the ball park, but until you ride it and start shifting your weight about (consider dynamics like suspension response) then it may mean very little.

My advice is to try as many different bikes as you can. We all vary, I or anybody else cannot simply say you need x,y and z dimensions. It is impossible to say!
  • Thanks, and agree with your statement. Also trying lots of different bikes.

I'm sure there's got to be good LBS's who could work with what I've got already and come up with some suggestions which would be very close to ideal...
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    There might be, but they probably wouldn't take kindly to you using up their time in a major fitting session checking out frames, stem lengths, bar widths etc only for you to go off and buy a bike elsewhere.
  • It would be a fitting session only, everyone would know that, and payment for service made