New Bike and SPD problem

wicked2627
wicked2627 Posts: 122
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

Just got my new bike through C2W. The last time I had a bike was 10 years ago with a Specialized stumpjumper M2 so please bear with me.

Here's a coupe of pics of it
IMG_1470.jpg
IMG_1469.jpg

I bought some Shimano M545 (i think) pedals for it but m struggling with them. They're on the lowest setting and I can engage ok, but to disengage the right hand side, I have to twist the back of my foot inwards. I can't do it outwards. The left one works both ways.

Any ideas what may be causing this? I've used some GT85 and have tried to change the cleat position to no avail.

Cheers[/img]
Specialized Roubaix Pro Expert 2020
Boardman HT Pro Ltd Ed MTB
Boardman Pro Carbon Road Bike (Turbo Trainer)
Charge Mixer

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    are the cleat bolts in your shoes tight enough? Could be the cleat moving and not a pedal problem
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • thanks - have checked and they are secure. I'm hoping it will be something that loosens over time and at least I can get out by bringing my foot inwards. Alternatively it could be a faulty pedal but i'm not 100% sure
    Charge Mixer
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    keep trying while leaning against a wall. it should release/ also make sure that the sole of the shoe is not catching..
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    clip the shoes in, check that they will do it if not limited by your physiology.

Then check the angles, sounds like a moved cleat, where is the inward disengagement point?
  • Thanks guys - just been spinning at gym and it's a similar thing there. It's a lot easier to release by brining feet in, and I have to get my foot at clost to 90 degrees before it comes out the correct way.

I thought maybe the cleats are L/R specific but they look identical. Do you think it may be the shoes? (Specialized BG Sonoma)

IMG_1480.jpg
    Charge Mixer
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    Tip for quick disengagement outwards -

Twist the cleats on your shoes so that the fronts point inwards.

That way you have already taken up the slack and as soon as you start to twist your ankle outwards, you disengage.

I can't see much wrong with the way they appear but the above is a good idea anyway.
    Giant Reign X1
  • konadawg wrote:
    Tip for quick disengagement outwards -

Twist the cleats on your shoes so that the fronts point inwards.

That way you have already taken up the slack and as soon as you start to twist your ankle outwards, you disengage.

I can't see much wrong with the way they appear but the above is a good idea anyway.

Awesome - it works!!! Thanks for your help - I only twisted it a couple of mm but it slips straight out now.

Cheers :D
    Charge Mixer
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    It's definitely worth experimenting with cleat position, for comfort / knee health as well as ease of release.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result