Shaving legs help

mentalalex
mentalalex Posts: 266
Right been doing it for a while but most of the time my legs come up in little red dots and it looks very messy.

Ive tried most things to try and stop it. using good quality razor etc

any else had this problem and how did you sort it.
I do science, sometimes.

Comments

• i usually use after shave balm, sounds a bit kinky but it works.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FWIW. My wife says, and I've tried it, that you should use hair conditioner to shave legs. Works better than shave cream. May or may not help your problem. Worked for me.
  • dennisn
    FWIW. My wife says, and I've tried it, that you should use hair conditioner to shave legs. Works better than shave cream. May or may not help your problem. Worked for me.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    why are you shaving your legs in winter..?
  • You must a shave all year.

Its a my religion.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2258201150
    francos.png
  • as i race in the winter, and it looks loads better than hairy legs in Lycra
    I do science, sometimes.
  • Use excess moisturiser and dry shave using that (you need a good amount). Make sure you change the blade regularly. Also +1 on conditioner or shaving foam. Recommend Gillette Venus for legs as quite large blades. Seriously have you considered waxing? Or Veet hair removal cream? Especially if your hair is coarser (it will grow back thinner and make shaving easier, also lasts longer (3-4 weeks) thus giving your skin chance to not be irritated. Sounds like you need to give you skin some recovery time from shaving?
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    You must a shave all year.

Its a my religion.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2258201150

YES.
    +1 to shaving all year round.

Try after shave stuff, and moisturise lots to generally keep your legs in good nick.
    Also ensure you have a nice sharp razor to easily cut through so you don't have to hack bits off.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Spots are inflamed hair follicles most likely - small irritation from blade and infection. Good new blade, good cleanliness and some kind of aftershave balm or perfume free moisturiser should help. A prescription free cortisone cream will also help dampen inflammation in bad cases.
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I shave all year round too.

Also hair conditioner is by far the best thing I have found for irritation free shaving.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    Try a tea tree based body lotion afterwards.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Shaving helps...only for Tiger Woods/Gillette to pay his alimony bills!
  • why are you shaving your legs in winter..?
    why would you do it in summer but not winter?
  • Johnp
    Johnp Posts: 51
    How about you dont shave your legs you big girls blouse!!
  • Joycie
    Joycie Posts: 127
    Exfoliate! Bumpy red follicles can happen as the stubble effectively gets caught under the skin and can't get out again.

Even rubbing your legs vigourously with a body puff should give you a mild exfoliation effect...
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    Right - i've never partaken any leg shaving malarkey, partially as i'm rather hairy & would have to shave up to the waist to avoid wearing "hairy hotpants", but some of you must be on the furry side too - so where do you stop shaving? There must be a cut-off limit somewhere, but where to stop to avoid looking absolutely rediculous naked? Or do you just whip everything below the chest-pubes off? Or those too? Is there anything in the euro cyclist rules governing this?

:?
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Exfoliating may help but generally you get this rash when you shave against the hair direction rather than with it.
  • It sound like you're causing ingrowing hairs from shaving against the grain. As the skin grows back over the hair infection builds up and the skin will be red and sore.

Shave with the grain - It won't feel as close and you'll have to do it more often but it'll be kinder to your skin. Most shaving ads show morons shaving against the grain to get it closer with 9 bladed razors and an obsession with closeness which doesn't need to occur. Better to have it not as close and do it more often.

Exfoliate, use a quality shaving cream and brush then finish with moisturiser with no alcohol in - Even base oil is bettter as alcohol will cause the skin to react.

Smaller strokes and more rinsing of the razor. Pull the skin tight and gently shave.

Don't shave anymore than every 3-4 days.
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • dennisn
    mcj78 wrote:
    Right - Or do you just whip everything below the chest-pubes off? Or those too? Is there anything in the euro cyclist rules governing this?

There is a little know rule that says something about how many hairs you have per square inch. If you exceed this limit then its, quote, "from the neck down".
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    Ahhh - from the neck down :shock:

Think i'll stick to the hairs all poking through the lycra - apparently chicks dig that...
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • mentalalex wrote:
    Right been doing it for a while but most of the time my legs come up in little red dots and it looks very messy.

Go on a training camp and get a tan.
    Get your free Cycling Magazine - \'The Sprocket\' from http://www.highwycombecc.org
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    As a Mtb Grey Gorilla, I shaved for an organised ride with "T Mobile", which was cancelled once the drug thing hit..DOH! This was in 2008.

Left "enuff ffluff" for a pair of boxers at the top of my thighs, shaved down towards my ankles. No shaving soap/cream, just hot bath water. No zits either, and I'm as hairy as Sean Connery. Same hair problems too!

Kept it up all that Summer, til the Mrs was giving me strange looks and hiding her clothes...
  • moolarb
    moolarb Posts: 83
    mcj78 wrote:
    Right - i've never partaken any leg shaving malarkey, partially as i'm rather hairy & would have to shave up to the waist to avoid wearing "hairy hotpants", but some of you must be on the furry side too - so where do you stop shaving? There must be a cut-off limit somewhere, but where to stop to avoid looking absolutely rediculous naked? Or do you just whip everything below the chest-pubes off? Or those too? Is there anything in the euro cyclist rules governing this?

LOL

just keep going - head, beard, eyebrows, the lot - anything less is a compromise and that won't do will it?
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I shave all year round, arms also.
    In winter I use olive oil and deep heat when cold, esy to rub in on smooth legs, and if it rains water runs off, even with bibs on.
    After shaving I use nivea balm, £3 in tesco/asda etc.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    What's the olive oil for?
  • moolarb
    moolarb Posts: 83
    I find that my skin is already waterproof.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Infamous wrote:
    What's the olive oil for?
    Years ago I used to mix capsolin with olive oil and the olive oil is the base oil, like massage oils.
    The olive oil makes the deep heat easier to spread and rub in as deep heat is sitcky, so you need less.
    I have not seen capsolin since my rugby days, that stuff is hotttttt!!!