fox 36 wobble?

Migg
Migg Posts: 15
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
The fork in question is only 3 months old.
During that time I have been playing with a few settings and getting the fork just so.
The fork is fitted to an all mountain bike, and I am on over the moon with the performance.
The fork is an 09 fox 36 tallas r.
About a week ago I was out riding the bike and felt a knocking from the front of the bike about half way round my loop, I stopped to inspect and discovered some play in the front end.
I took the bike home cleaned it and on further inspection found considerable play had developed in the r hand fork leg
(damper side). When the bike had the front brake held on and the bike was rocked forwards and backwards to manipulate
the play, it felt like the head set had come loose and you can actually hear a knocking sound coming from the fork.
If you place your hand around the dust seal where the inner leg goes inside the outer and rock the bike
you can feel it moving almost as if the leg is coming loose.
I have since taken the bike back to the dealer where i purchased it. I hasten to add at this point that i have nothing but
Great service from this shop during the past 8 yrs or so that i have been dealing with them.
After arriving at the shop the assistant took the bike to the workshop where upon a mechanic reappeared just 2 minutes
later and said the fork is fine and that level of play is completely normal.
I asked him to put his hand around the dust seal so he could feel the full extent of the play while i rocked the bike.
He then said well it feels ok to me. I told him that this is the fourth set of 36 tallas i have owned and never felt any play in them
Let alone that much.
He said he would sent the forks off and get them checked out.
I was happy with this and left the bike with him at dinner time Tuesday, the shop phoned me back Thursday night and said the fork had been removed sent away returned to them refitted and was ready for collection.
The company that deal with this product on behalf of the manufacturer had said the fork is fine and ok to keep using.
I am a bit miffed at this and would like to ask other users of this fork if they have any similar problems?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would be tempted to give Mojo a call in the morning as i am not sure when Mojo would have had time to look at the fork unless the shop is next door.

Mojo is the only authorised Fox service centre and that is where the work should have been done. Mojo are also the importers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Migg
    Migg Posts: 15
    When the shop phoned me today i told them i was not happy with the outcome,
    and asked them for contact details for mojo and the person who has made the decision.
    They said they would phone me back in the morning so we will see.
    I will post the outcome!
    Any other info on the matter is welcome.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    call Mojo in the morning and ask them if they have done a rush job for " your LBS".
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    Seen quite a few Fox with more play than I am used to or would be happy with, all had varying degrees of usage however.

I do recall reading somewhere that a bit of wobble is normal and Foxs are designed this way and once they get moving and the oil gets flowing - but it seems that you have more than just "a bit" since it is causing concern.

Nevertheless it is not easy to quantify "a bit" and one man's bit may be another man's whopper, and vice versa.

You should take it back till you are happy, not familiar with the insides of Fox forks (yet) :twisted:
    Giant Reign X1