Slow Rides For Unfit People - Rutland ROAD Ride Sun 9th Sept

Cheshley
Cheshley Posts: 1,448
edited August 2012 in MTB rides
If, like me, you gaze longingly at the routes in the magazines and think you’re not fit enough to ride them, or think you’re not fit enough to keep up with the group rides that get arranged on this forum, then this thread is for you.

The basis of these rides will be a route to be ridden at the pace of the slowest rider. That doesn’t mean you have to get off and walk just because I have (yes, I did say walk), but if you are able to ride up the hills that someone else can’t, you will be expected to wait at the top for people to catch up.

If you are still wondering if this is for you, let me clarify……

There will be uphill sections that I will be walking up
There may be downhill sections that you don’t like the look of and you may want to walk down
There may be some road sections (kept to a minimum though)
There will be plenty of stops to get your breath back
If you’re still concerned that you might be the most unfit person there, just remember that any time you’re with me, you won’t be.

The following disclaimer is being added as much for my own protection as yours:

I am NOT a guide/trailside mechanic/qualified first aider
The terrain requires that your bike is up to the job.
The weather can change quickly so ensure you are suitably prepared.
You are required to carry all equipment/tools/spares that you would expect to have with you if you were out riding on your own. Do not rely on others giving you tubes/patches/levers/pumps etc

You MUST wear a helmet. Please do not turn up without one. I know it's your own choice to wear one or not, but if you come off and go head first into a tree it's not you who has to witness it/deal with it/telephone your family and tell them about it. No helmet = No ride

I accept no responsibility for damage to you or your bike.

That said, I will try to arrange a route that would be rideable by the majority of people and if I can ride it, SO CAN YOU. If you think that you might enjoy such a ride, please post below.

ADDED DEC 2011: The Slow Rides are still going strong after almost two years. We have a group ride every month and some of the guys who live close to each other meet up in between as well. There is also a Facebook group which has 98 members: https://www.facebook.com/groups/slowrid ... fitpeople/ and this is now where most of the chat takes place. I always update this thread with details of our next rides too.

We are (mostly) still not the fastest riders in the world but we have members who are fitter than others. Everyone understands the basis of the rides and those who are faster go off the front but always wait for everyone to join up further up the trail. We may be slow, but we are not unskilled. Most of us are comfortable riding Red graded trails and we have a few people who like the black stuff as well.

Everyone is welcome to join our rides, as long as you know what you are letting yourself in for. Bring something to eat as our 20+ mile rides always include a picnic :D
1998 Marin Hawk Hill
2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.

Comments

• dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    I might well be up for this but it depends on me getting my gear together in time and at least having a bit of a practice beforehand.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • Frostys
    Frostys Posts: 277
    Count me in.... where do you plan to meet up? Ladybower Inn Car Park?
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    sounds good, will confirm soon!
  • im interested if it isnt too far away :?
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • Cheshley
    edited February 2010
    Nicely. Thanks guys, I wasn't sure there would be any interest in this :D .

@Frostys. Starting point will be in that area, hadn't really thought exactly where but that seems as good as anywhere then we can cross the dam, up Whin Hill to Hope Cross and left towards Edale. Per your PM, if you're local on the day I might be able to arrange transport.

I'm already putting a route together in my head but will try to accommodate any requests. Will anyone have time limitations that need to be considered?

EDIT: Starting point has changed to Ladybower visitor's centre.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I'd be up for this and if anyone needs a lift down from Leeds area let me know.

No time limitations just the belly limiting factor.
  • Hey guys, i can't come on this one myself but if you want a decent route that is not too taxing and can be done by us unfit guys try this.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ho ... r-and-back

I've always wanted to do Cut Gate and back but need some unfit guys who don't mind pushing on the rocky bits to join me, will post around May time and see if any one will join me then, in the meantime have a great ride :lol:
  • I think we'd be up for this if it's not too long, we get shattered after about 12 miles and still push on long uphills.
    I'll keep my eye on this one :D
    Caz xx
  • Cheshley
    @Puddlerider - Thanks for the route, the ride I have in mind uses sections of this but I was thinking of heading further towards Edale than going up off the East side of Ladybower. The options are almost endless and if this is a success I'm hoping it could become something regular using different routes, which would link in nicely with your plans as Cut Gate is on my list of things to do this year :D

@Sparrowlegs. If you're pushing on the uphill bits then you're just the type of rider that this thread is aimed at because I'll be doing that too. The route I have in mind looks to be about 18 miles but at the pace I travel at you should be OK. Also, if we start/finish at the Ladybower Inn it's only a short stagger across the road to find liquid refreshment. Come along, you won't know until you try and the whole point of this is to show that the Peak District isn't just for the expert riders.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Cheshley
    Does anyone have a preference of Saturday or Sunday 28th? I know it may not be possible to suit everyone but we'll go with the majority.....
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• I'll not be joining you, but good on you for sorting something like this, hope it goes well for you!
  • Cheshley
    Thanks Mancunianfightingcat. :D
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Frostys
    I think we'd be up for this if it's not too long, we get shattered after about 12 miles and still push on long uphills.
    I'll keep my eye on this one :D
    Caz xx

You won't be on your own pushing.. thats the whole point of this ride a bit of mutual support and no pressure to "perform"

I'm guessing 85% of people who enjoy mtbing aren't really fit enough to enjoy the group rides we read about in the mags, and get as much pleasure from riding local fire rods and towpaths as the guys who are bombing down the black run at Afan or Coed y Brenin.

Come on you might just surprise yourself :P
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • I might be up for it let me know the route and details just got back in the saddle after a near twenty year gap so not as fit ias i once was and a bit bigger than your average bear :oops:
    Cube Peleton Race 2013
    Cube cross race cx 2016

I have a cycling problem work gets in the way!!!
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    im might be up for this, though the group i normaly go with do wait for me at the top
    but it would be great to do a more relaxed pace ride
    what are brakes for again
  • Believe me, whenI say we are slow I mean slowwwww lol, I am just damn unfit and nervous
    Caz xx
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Don't worry I'll make you look good
  • Rob_S
    Rob_S Posts: 12
    Pencil me in!
    I'm also doing the BHF ride so this would help with my training!
  • Cheshley
    @mootanclan - route hasn't been finalised yet, off the top of my head, starting at or near Ladybower Inn, Whin Hill, Hope Cross, Jaggers Clough towards Edale, hit the road and double back towards Hope on tarmac then off to the left and up to the old roman road back to Hope Cross and back towards Ladybower and a loop up to Crookhill Farm, pick a descent back down to Ladybower and back down to the A57 along the East side.

......or similar.

Peeps haven't stated a preference for Saturday or Sunday and I don't know where everyone is coming from so I can't really put a meeting time that everyone can make. Personally, I prefer Saturday but either is fine and I can be there when the sun comes up if necessary. The start time will need to be relatively early as I don't know how long this is going to take and I don't want it to turn into a night ride.

(cue responses from everyone)

@Kangaroo - the more the merrier mate, bring your uphill legs and you'll be fine.

@Caz - The only thing I do quickly on a bike is go downhill. Gravity is a wonderful thing if you're going in the right direction but a b!tch if you're not. If you're struggling, you won't be the only one, but you won't be left behind.

Go on, you know you want to.....
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• I wont be in on that one. I have a planned visit there in May (7-9th) with a mate from Bristol. We ride at our own pace, if your ride goes well and you plan another i would be in on anything planned for that weekend.
    Not suggesting you have too plan then just that if you do plan for one in May then you would have another 2 pushpedalers.
    Hope it goes ok and have a good turn out.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • Cheshley
    @Rob_S - which BHF ride? Me and a mate are doing the Robin Hood at Sherwood on March 13th.

@Fletch, someone has already mentioned doing CutGate in May if you're interested.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Rob_S
    Rob_S Posts: 12
    Cheshley - same one as you at Sherwood Pines.
  • I've talkied the hubby into it i think :D
    Caz xx
  • kangaroo
    a idea i had last time i was in the peaks is to do stuff around ladybower then if youve reached the end of your energy you only have to head back down to the carpark

have you seen the ladybower best bits route from mbr
    here is the link
    http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=cje ... +Best+Bits
  • Frostys
    @Cheshley How about a provisional 0930 for a 1000 depart at the Ladybower Inn unless anyone has any objections? I'm easy either Sat or Sun but I think thats a suitable time. We are tramming up from Aylesbury just means going to the in laws either Fri night after work or Sat morn.

@ Sparrowlegs Good on ya girl :P
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • Cheshley
    @Kangaroo - The route you're looking at has a few serious inclines in it whereas I was trying to put a route together where (as much as possible) the climbs may have been a little longer but were more of a gently gradient. I was thinking that they would be rideable by more people. Would be interesting to hear what others think.

@Frostys - Time sounds good, gives plenty of time to get round and have a cheeky glass of something cold afterwards.

@Rob_S - Nice one, did you turn up on the original date in November? A lot of very pIssed off people were turned away!!!!
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Frostys
    I have just looked at that route Kangaroo and there are 3 or 4 200/ 250m climbs over quite sort distances. I agree with Cheshley we need to smoothe those climbs out a bit if at all possible.

Long ride followed by something cold and frothy definately sounds like a plan coming together. :lol:
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • kangaroo
    ive only ever been twice, so dont really know the area, that route was just one out of a mag

arnt we walking up the hills anyway :)
  • Cheshley
    kangaroo wrote:
    ive only ever been twice, so dont really know the area, that route was just one out of a mag

arnt we walking up the hills anyway :)

The climbs aren't just steep, they are technically challenging. I'll show you some of them while we're out. It is a good route, but could be demoralising.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• stumpym4
    stumpym4 Posts: 216
    Could well be interested in doing this , i`m all for a nice steady ride with lots of faffing around !! .. i`ll keep watching the thread
    Possible lift going from birmingham if anyone needs one ?

Tony
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    On One 853 single speed
    Pinnacle Arkose 2 - cross bike
    Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus - Bike packing bike
    Cube attain GTC Pro road bike - more relaxed road bike
    Giant scr1 road bike