Manitou Radium RL

Briggo
Briggo Posts: 3,537
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Purchased a Focus Vamp off ebay for the lady, the bike comes fitted with the titled shock however upon assembling the bike again that rear shock has zero movement from it.

Its pressurised and doesnt seem to be losing any air, rebound ive moved to several settings and its not locked out either (it comes with a lock > open settings only) so I am stumped.

Any other ideas or have I been sold a dud? Not too clued up on the maintenance of rear shocks to be honest.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is an air shock?

what year?

does it move with no air in it?

what pressure is the air at?

what sag doe you get if any?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Briggo
    it is an air shock? - Yes

what year? - 2008 model I believe

does it move with no air in it? - No movemet whatsoever

what pressure is the air at? - Set it at various levels (at 150 atm) with no response from the shock

what sag doe you get if any? - Not a sausage, its like its completely locked up, on my Stumpy the rear Fox still moves with lockout, this has nothing.

Shock in question -

http://www.manitoumtb.com/index.php?pag ... ipline=all
  • nicklouse
    so the shock is fully extended and zero movement.

need returning or replacing/servicing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Briggo
    nicklouse wrote:
    so the shock is fully extended and zero movement.

need returning or replacing/servicing.

I thought as much just wasnt sure if I was being stupid and missed something.

Cheers Nick.
  • nicklouse
    well you have moved the lockout lever?
  • Briggo
    nicklouse wrote:
    well you have moved the lockout lever?

That would be quite embarrising if I'd say "No I havent" however I have, and it clicks into its settings so the lever seems ok.

However like I said even if it was locked out there usually is still some movement in the shock no? This really has no movement at all.
  • nicklouse
    good but i had to ask,

here is an 05 strip-down/service manual

http://www.hbsuspension.com/manual_down ... e%20Guides

there should be one for the 2008 if you feel up to it.
  • Briggo
    Myself and a friend managed to take it apart and give it a once over its sorted the movement out.

However it just feels crap, must be cause I'm comparing it to the Fox RP23 on my Stumpy.

So this leads onto if the Manitou is that crap, how easy is it to replace with say a Fox Float of same fitting (165x38mm) I cant seem to find any kits for fitting or the bushes etc the same?

Cheers
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    so long as you get the right lenght shock, and the right stroke, youll be fine....
    I like bikes and stuff