100 mile ride help!!!

Variance
Variance Posts: 130
Hi,

I've done a couple of Sportives but the max distance has been 65 miles. Im after some advice on how best to prepare/train for a longer ride. The ride is on Easter Sat (3rd April) and goes from Windermere to Newcastle. We are doing it for charity, so the planned route is mainly b roads so will be a bit hilly without any "major" climbs. (except Shap summit early on!)

At the moment I ride home from work twice a week (30 miles each time) and then try to get a longer ride 50 or so on a sat or a sun.

I think it may be psycological but 100 miles seems so much more than I can do at the mo.

Any tips/advice greatly appreciated

Paul

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Do a couple of 200km audax or just do some routes of your own that build up to 100m. 50 mile one week,60 the next etc
    M.Rushton
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Just scale up your rides by 5 miles a week and you'll be getting up there.

I wouldn't worry too much about the distance once your *rse has got used to being in the saddle for extended periods of time - if you have enough food/drink on the ride you'll be able to keep going. The problem comes if you try and go too quickly, so it's as much a question of pacing yourself properly. And you'll be able to judge a decent pace from all these long training rides you'll be doing. :D
  • T'is easy, just sit on your bike and keep peddling :-)

Seriously, if you can do 65 miles you can do 100. You just need to make sure you eat and drink enough.
  • Variance
    i always eat enough, (thats why Im 15 stone!!)

I was truly dead after 65 miles, but I will try upping my weekend rides by 5 per week, so should be ok by the time it comes round
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Variance wrote:
    i always eat enough, (thats why Im 15 stone!!)

I was truly dead after 65 miles, but I will try upping my weekend rides by 5 per week, so should be ok by the time it comes round

And don't forget to constantly hydrate yourself. Food is one thing but if you're not getting sufficient fluids on board to you will suffer. Take your time, and as people have already said, just build up your weekly rides gradually. You'll be suprised how far you can go if you pace yourself, and eat and drink properly. Little and often is key.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I did my first hundred last year, what I've found in this and other long rides is that my energy is great for about fifty miles then my legs seem to go flat, but as long as I've been eating and drinking I can keep going.

My guess is that the 50 miles represents the energy stored in my muscles, after that gets depleted I'm relying on metabolising food (+ maybe burning fat) to keep going. I'm no professional so this conjecture is probably wrong in some substantial way but it keeps me going.

As the adage goes, drink before your thirsty and eat before your hungry.
  • sampras38
    mr_si wrote:
    I did my first hundred last year, what I've found in this and other long rides is that my energy is great for about fifty miles then my legs seem to go flat, but as long as I've been eating and drinking I can keep going.

My guess is that the 50 miles represents the energy stored in my muscles, after that gets depleted I'm relying on metabolising food (+ maybe burning fat) to keep going. I'm no professional so this conjecture is probably wrong in some substantial way but it keeps me going.

As the adage goes, drink before your thirsty and eat before your hungry.

How many miles were you riding prior to doing the 100?

On a full tank you've probably got about 1.5 to 2 hours worth of glycogen. Obviously this will vary depending on the individual and speed but roughly, that's about right.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    As others have said build up your miles gradually(5 per week) until you can comfortably do 80-85 miles. Don't worry about the remaining 20 you will be able to find the extra on the day as long as you keep well fed during the early part of the ride. You may well be 15 stone but once your physical demand for energy exceeds your rate for burning fat you use up your glycogen store quite quickly(about 50grms of carbo per hour I think) so unfortunatly you won't lose very much weight, just fluid weight which goes streight back on. Relax and let other stronger riders do the lions share of the work on the front to keep you fresher for longer. Above all enjoy the experience.
  • Also, are you riding with others and were your previous distances solo? Riding 70 odd miles alone isn't such a great step down from 100 as part of a 'team', in my experience.

In other words, shelter in a bunch :D
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • Variance
    My other rides were all Sportives but I rode the majority by myself. My commute home is solo, but my weekend rides are with my girlfriend (no rude jokes needed!)

The 100 mile route is a group of ten, none of whom have ridden the distance before!!!
  • sampras38
    Variance wrote:
    My other rides were all Sportives but I rode the majority by myself. My commute home is solo, but my weekend rides are with my girlfriend (no rude jokes needed!)

The 100 mile route is a group of ten, none of whom have ridden the distance before!!!

That would actually be quite funny to watch, as I can imagine everyone will be hustling to get in the pack and nobody will want to lead...;-)

No, seriously, you'll be fine and all the best advice has already been said.

Good luck with it.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    This got me around Paris Roubaix two years ago.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    ... hi Variance ....i am due to ride 100 mid April and only ever done 20 milers max....i can only get out for 1-2 hours at w/e due to work and family stuff - so you sound better prepared than me....i reckon you'll be fine by then. I'll keep watching this thread for more tips - cheers

Mothyman
  • Im doing the Fred Whitton and have the same problems as Mothyman.
    Have been reading 'The time crunched cyclist' by Chris Carmichael. Fit,fast and powerful in 6hrs a week is claimed.
    Bit sceptical tbh but needs must. His theory is completely opposite to the 'get the miles in' mantra quality not quantity being the message
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    mercurykev wrote:
    Seriously, if you can do 65 miles you can do 100. You just need to make sure you eat and drink enough.

Agreed . A couple of years ago I did the Dunwich Dynamo having previously only managed one 60 miler.

Just eat drink and stay upright !

Oh , and pace yourself.

Snake

My Library
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • Variance
    Thanks all

Hoping to get plenty in this week, including a 60 miler on Sun
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Don't under estamate the pennines, they may not be all that steep BUT they go on and on and on.
    As said above if you've done 65 you can do 100, just take your time , eat and drink and ENJOY
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace