Cav - Giro or Cali?

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2010 in Pro race
He's undecided - Where do you think HTC will make him go?

I would say California.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I think so too.

Will they then send Greipel to do the Giro?
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    HTC Phones, Columbia Activewear and Scott bikes? Makes you think they'll insist on the big stars being present - I see the likes of Shack, BMC and Garmin are committed to sending strong squads.

That said, Cav was talking big about winning stages at all three of the GTs this year, so who knows?! And the ToC looks pretty hard - should he chose to actually complete a stage race other than the Tour for a change.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Yeah, Cali.

Greipel v Petacchi v Bennati v Napolitano v Loddo will be quite interesting enough though, thanks.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Not sure if Cav will fancy that scenario, but he may well have to put up with it.
    A lean year for Grand Tour stage victories on the cards?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Not sure if Cav will fancy that scenario, but he may well have to put up with it.

I'm sure when he glances at his bank balance he'll feel a little bit better about it.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    teagar wrote:
    Not sure if Cav will fancy that scenario, but he may well have to put up with it.

I'm sure when he glances at his bank balance he'll feel a little bit better about it.

I am sure if he stands on the podium in paris in july wearing green he will feel a bit better about it
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    edited January 2010
    If the link works, (edit- it doesn't) it's a short video clip of Cav saying that he adores the Giro, wants to ride it, it's the best race in the world and so on.

Admittedly, he was talking to Gazetta dello sport.

He'll ride in California. Too many important sponsors to please, and allowing Greipel to ride the Giro may sweeten the pill somewhat when they tell Andre that he's going to go to the Tour, but only as a bike washer.
  • This is why I lurk through here - I didn't know there was a possibility he wasn't racing the ToC??? Alarm bells are now clanging. My daughter works on that race and we've friends that have already booked air and hotels, and all of them are huge Cav fans - Save me from a future whine and cheese session(s) if he doesn't race it! And yeah, I agree that HTC will want him there. AEG took the race over this year and I'm sure they want him there also-
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    CakeHag,
    I suspect that you'll not be needed to cancel to any flights or rooms. He'll be in California.

Enjoy!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The Tour and the Worlds are his main targets apparantly this year, so I'd imagine he'll use the Vuelta to set himself for the Worlds, and miss the Giro this time around.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • PauloBets
    PauloBets Posts: 108
    I think it would be good if Mark Cavendish rides The Tour of California as this is a big event in its own right now and it will have some of the best riders, not the Tour of Italy.
  • intothe12
    intothe12 Posts: 190
    I suspect that he will be where ever Lance is, especially after seeing his big lance love in at the tour last year.
  • PauloBets
    PauloBets Posts: 108
    intothe12 wrote:
    I suspect that he will be where ever Lance is, especially after seeing his big lance love in at the tour last year.

Mark will go where his sponsors ask and that could well be California considering the growing stature of the event, forget your rubbish about Armstrong and think sponsors view
  • PauloBets wrote:
    intothe12 wrote:

Mark will go where his sponsors ask and that could well be California considering the growing stature of the event, forget your rubbish about Armstrong and think sponsors view

As opposed to the stature of the Giro?
    Someone is buying in to Uncle Bob's 4th Grand Tour proclamations.
    I thought the idea of Columbia sponsoring a cycling team was to promote the brand name across Europe?

The Tour of California will enjoy a brief golden period, followed by a Georgian period, after the old guys retire.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    PauloBets wrote:

The Tour of California will enjoy a brief golden period, followed by a Georgian period, after the old guys retire.

+1

caveat

if the USA doesn't come up with a tour winner pronto...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I thought the idea of Columbia sponsoring a cycling team was to promote the brand name across Europe?

What's a better way to get exposure? Be in race with Armstrong in it or in a race that outside its own country has limited appeal. The media glare is always on Armstrong and Joe public will more likely see Cav's wacky winning celebrations if he wins a stage of Cali than the Giro.

I'm sure people thought the same thing about the Tour at one time. I think California has the ingredients to succeed. Fourth Grand Tour? Not likely, but as an equal to the likes of Switzerland or the Dauphine? I don't see why not.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.