interval frequecy

Mapman
Mapman Posts: 254
I have a 15 mile commute to work . I want to use this time on the bike more effciently . But i cant really arrive at work Knackered ,and we dont have a shower ............ So if i was to do a 30 second hard interval every 10 mins riding would this be any help to my fitness ??
A secondary question is is there a watch on the market that i can set so every 10 mins IE 9.10am ,9.20am ,930am to beep for 30 secs .so i dont have to look down at my computer for timings ? cheers

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Wouldn't it make more sense to do them at set points on your route rather than by time?

Also, why not do them on the way home when it doesn't matter if you end up knackered and sweaty?
    More problems but still living....
  • Mapman
    Mapman Posts: 254
    Thats boring ,and my route can vary The watch idea just adds a little interest
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I'd do 30 sec sprints each 5 mins to start, then work up to 30 sprint/1 min recovery.
    Do about 4 - 6 then recover for 10 -15 mins.
    Do it 2 -3 times for very hard workout.

The older Timex Ironman's have a "countdown repeat" timer, which beeps for 10 secs, and you can put in any time in between.
    Don't know if there's a watch with the exact timing you require though.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    If you want to build up some fitness I'm affraid you're going to have to get a little seaty.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    That sort of sprint training will help with neuromuscular power, but won't improve aerobic fitness.

If you have a Garmin 705, you could set up a "Workout" with time intervals to achieve what you are wanting to do.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    I think quite a few HRM have intervall timers on them. even quite cheap ones. Or a cheap timer from argos or similar? Not having to look down when road cycling would be a boon .....
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Isnt the short answer here "no"!?

The recovery time between intervals is way too long for there to be any kind of real aerobic benefit beyond that gained by the 15 mile ride.

But a 15 mile ride would give you all kinds of potential routines to follow and while clearly there are limitations on what you want to do on the way in, presumably this is much less of an issue on the way back?