First new year ride!!!!!

skinson
skinson Posts: 362
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
Boomin heck! I've not been out since the 6thy Dec :shock: So took it nice and easy, chilly but not as bad as I anticipated. Just did the 20 miles at a leisurely 17mph. Felt great to be back in the saddle after such a long lay off. Bring on the warmer weather that's all I can say :):)
Dave

Comments

• mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    A leisurley 17mph you say. Id be happy to get over 14mph at the moment :(
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    The cold air definitely has an effect on my speed, I reckon I'm just as fit as I was in the summer but can't get the speed up.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Went out New Years Day.

It was icy, I've healed now and the bike was undamaged 8)

Then no cycling, weather & brusing to blame

Until last Sunday, as you say, great to get back in the saddle :P
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    A leisurley 17mph you say. Id be happy to get over 14mph at the moment

Sorry I'm not showing off!! It was all flat with no wind whatsoever. And only 20 miles. My normal average on 50 milers is around 16-18mph, so not up to summer fitness.
    Dave
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    I just got back from a 2 hour pootle - its about the most I can manage, no matter how many pairs of gloves/socks/overshoes my hands just get so cold
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    I had my first outing of the year today too, I wasn't sure how fit I would feel but I did an easy 38km loop in 90mins - faster than I've done it before (must be those endless turbo sessions I've been doing!), which was a surprise.

It was great to be out on the road again tho, even tho I was frozen in the first 10 mins. :)
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Had my first proper ride of the new year on Saturday afternoon.

Managed a nice 30k in an hour, was a touch chilly, but not too bad. Roads were bloody awful though.

I've also realised that if I wear a thermal base layer I get way too hot and this appears to slow me down. I didn't wear one on my commute this morning despite it being about 2deg C and I felt alot fresher, and went quicker :shock:
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    42 miles today through Partington,Warburton, Culcheth,Warrington,Knutsford, Alty.
    Strong NW wind. Ave. mph = 17.7.

Wasn't my first new year ride tho'. more like my 4th! :oops:
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    skinson wrote:
    A leisurley 17mph you say. Id be happy to get over 14mph at the moment

Sorry I'm not showing off!! It was all flat with no wind whatsoever. And only 20 miles. My normal average on 50 milers is around 16-18mph, so not up to summer fitness.
    Dave

Surely that's 17mph, too! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Nerrep
    Nerrep Posts: 112
    Also managed to get out today for the first time this year -- was great. Base layer, t-shirt and jersey + gloves (and shorts :wink:), and was nice and warm. Managed 20 miles at 16.5mph; a bit slower than earlier in the year, but the traffic was almost as bad as the headwind, so actually fairly pleased with that.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Broken the duck at long last.

First ride undertaken whilst not bolted to the Tacx. Also, only the second outing for the Hope Vision 1.

14 miles in around an hour. 500 metres of climbing. Timing is only a guess as I don't take a watch or computer in early season rides as I have to make a conscious effort to not push too hard. (Don't go much faster if I do but it's less fun).

The biggest climb of the two had a strong tailwind but was still horribly slow and painful. Descents were entertaining! Boy is it windy. Don't go full speed at night anyway but between the wind and night riding they were painfully slow too.

Came home, covered in sh*t and beaming from ear to ear. It's been long overdue.