London to Newbury

london-red
london-red Posts: 1,266
Does anyone have knowledge of a good route between west London and Newbury? Looking at riding out and getting a lift back (here's hoping for an Easterly...) so would really appreciate any Bikely routes or .GPX files that I could navigate by.

The prospect of fighting for space on the M4 doesn't really appeal :D

Thanks in advance

Comments

• You want to go to newbury?!?!? Are you sure?!?! I can't imagine why :o

Have you tried looking at the Thames Path to reading and then the kennet and avon towpath to newbury?
    Lapierre Zesty 514 - 2010
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    The round Berkshire cycle route (http://www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/roun ... le-map.pdf) passes south of Newbury, and is on fairly quiet roads.

Wind is generally westerly I think, so you might want to do it in reverse (Newbury can be reached from Paddington).

Windsor is the route's most easterly point, from which you could do the Grand Union canal route, or a quiet road route to London.
  • Hi - I have cycled London to Newbury a few times on my ss but from SW London. This is the map from my first attempt http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1640450. I didnt save the amendments, but I avoided the A30 and the A339 in future rides, which were quite busy with large fast moving traffic. Rather than the A30 after crossing the M3 I rode up via Yately-Bramshill-Mortimer-Brimpton. There is not one nice continuous road, and it required the map being pulled out a few times, but the roads were good and quiet.

Alternatively as you are starting from W London perhaps aiming at Windsor may be a better route.

Enjoy the ride
  • london-red
    Thanks for the replies :) I have been roped into a visit to the grandparents in law, but figured I might as well combine it with a ride (if I go hard enought I might even sleep through most of it...) :lol:

Fuji, thanks for the route, I'll have a look at it now.
  • london-red
    Oh, and by the way, it's a Kingston start, so your route could work perfectly...
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    London Newbury on the Kennet/Avon/ Thames path is a decent ride - off road all the time, a bit of faffing in a couple of places, but its largely traffic free - Sustrans routes 4 and 5 I think. You won't want to do it with 23s on, but 28s plus should be fine.
  • Hi - I have cycled London to Newbury a few times on my ss but from SW London. This is the map from my first attempt http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1640450. I didnt save the amendments, but I avoided the A30 and the A339 in future rides, which were quite busy with large fast moving traffic. Rather than the A30 after crossing the M3 I rode up via Yately-Bramshill-Mortimer-Brimpton. There is not one nice continuous road, and it required the map being pulled out a few times, but the roads were good and quiet.

Alternatively as you are starting from W London perhaps aiming at Windsor may be a better route.

Enjoy the ride

nice - i've never got round to plotting a route -will try it out on day.
    ...the bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon...
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    What about trying something like....
    Kingston-->Walton-->Weybridge-->Addlestone-->Ottershaw-->Chobham-->Camberley-->Yately-->Eversley-->Risely-->Mortimer-->Aldermaston-->Brimpton-->Newbury.

I did this route once when I decided to commute to work in Newbury. I did it in 2.5hrs, giving it some of course. Its generally tolerable and apart from a couple of bits with fast moving trafic is generally quite pleasant.

The alternative is something like:
    Kingston-->Sunbury-->Windsor-->Paley Street-->Twyford-->Reading-->Newbury which is quicker and again has some nice stretches, but to be honest, riding along the A4 between Reading and Newbury just isn't very pleasant.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • london-red
    Nice one Felgen - I think that's pretty similar to the route suggested by Fuji. I've mapped it here and will give it a go on Sunday, so long as the weather gods are with me...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3438503
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There's plenty of good roads once you get west of Staines as long as you stay north of the A30 and south of the A4/M4 - I ride these roads regularly, many which are unsigned and equally leave ride buddies confused as to our location - it's only taken 20 years of getting frequently lost to work it out and also impossible to recite from memory!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    London-Red wrote:
    Nice one Felgen - I think that's pretty similar to the route suggested by Fuji. I've mapped it here and will give it a go on Sunday, so long as the weather gods are with me...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3438503

Yep, thats the one. I would go via Molesey and Walton rather than Esher as its flatter and quicker and I think less busy. Oh and after the 37 mile marker, I think its better to take the right turn after the one you have mapped as again this avoids a hill and keeps you off the busier road running to Stratfield Mortimer for a short distance more.

Enjoy.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB